Jul 8, 2010, 6:37 PM EDT
There’s a long list of things that were just never going to work but got tried anyway. Napoleon invading Russia. Cop Rock. Lindsay Lohan and acting lessons.
Isiah Thomas selling New York to LeBron James.
Yes, that last one really happened. We’re not so sure about Lohan and acting lessons.
When the Knicks needed to make one last desperate pitch to LeBron, it was Isiah Thomas that owner James Dolan sent to Cleveland, according to Frank Isola at the New York Daily News.
Dolan loves Thomas. To the point of it blinding him to Thomas’ faults. So we’re talking a whole lot of blinding love here.
The irony is delicious, however. If not for Thomas’ collecting bad contracts like some people collect stamps, the Knicks would have been able to put in a foundation of players that might have attracted LeBron. Maybe. But they wouldn’t be in the desperate spot they are now.
You know the best part? If LeBron surprises us all and goes to New York, Dolan is going to think it was Thomas that did it. Maybe he can give him his old job back, too.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 2
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 35
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte