Jul 8, 2010, 4:28 PM EDT
At this point in the funhouse of mirrors that are the rumors of LeBron James’ next move, reality has been hard to tell from dead ends and distorted reflections. Everything, every reaction looked like it could be the way out.
But this afternoon, one tangible piece of evidence came though — the Heat are working very hard, and are very close apparently, to trading Michael Beasley.
That is evidence LeBron is headed to South Beach. More than the reports from multiple sources. More than the booked cabanas at the W Hotel in South Beach for a LeBron James party. More than anything.
Miami needs to move Beasley if it wants to give LeBron, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh all max deal money. And Miami wants to give them max money. The fact they are busting this hard to get it done is a sign.
Ideally, the Heat would like to give Bosh a sign-and-trade max deal — six years and $127 million. Same thing they can give Wade because they have his Bird-rights. LeBron would have to get by on a regular max deal, somehow.
But they have to move Beasley to make it happen. Apparently Charlotte wants Beasley — they are in a good position to take a risk on potential, to hope that concerns about his next contract get him to play to his strengths and not coast through games.
Miami had tried to move Beasley for weeks, but the desperation at this time is telling.
The big three can come to Miami even if Beasley is still there, they just have to each do it for $1 million less a year and only five-year deals. But the Heat want their guys happy — all max guys.
It doesn’t mean LeBron to Miami is a sure thing. Nothing is a sure thing in this wildest of free agent periods.
But this is a sign, a real sign. And it points straight to Miami.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48