Jul 8, 2010, 4:28 PM EST
At this point in the funhouse of mirrors that are the rumors of LeBron James’ next move, reality has been hard to tell from dead ends and distorted reflections. Everything, every reaction looked like it could be the way out.
But this afternoon, one tangible piece of evidence came though — the Heat are working very hard, and are very close apparently, to trading Michael Beasley.
That is evidence LeBron is headed to South Beach. More than the reports from multiple sources. More than the booked cabanas at the W Hotel in South Beach for a LeBron James party. More than anything.
Miami needs to move Beasley if it wants to give LeBron, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh all max deal money. And Miami wants to give them max money. The fact they are busting this hard to get it done is a sign.
Ideally, the Heat would like to give Bosh a sign-and-trade max deal — six years and $127 million. Same thing they can give Wade because they have his Bird-rights. LeBron would have to get by on a regular max deal, somehow.
But they have to move Beasley to make it happen. Apparently Charlotte wants Beasley — they are in a good position to take a risk on potential, to hope that concerns about his next contract get him to play to his strengths and not coast through games.
Miami had tried to move Beasley for weeks, but the desperation at this time is telling.
The big three can come to Miami even if Beasley is still there, they just have to each do it for $1 million less a year and only five-year deals. But the Heat want their guys happy — all max guys.
It doesn’t mean LeBron to Miami is a sure thing. Nothing is a sure thing in this wildest of free agent periods.
But this is a sign, a real sign. And it points straight to Miami.
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 4
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 0
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 23
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13