Jul 8, 2010, 6:48 PM EDT
According to the Los Angeles Times, prominent Hollywood agent Ari Emanuel may have played a critical role in making tonight’s LeBron James special a (horrifying) reality. Emanuel is best-known for being the head of William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, being the brother of White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, and the inspiration for Jeremy Piven’s character on Entourage.
William Morris Endeavor Agency Co-Chief Executive Ari Emanuel was behind the scenes working with James’ camp on the deal. Veteran sportscaster Jim Gray recounted the story on Dan Patrick’s radio show this morning.Gray said he saw James’ business partner, Maverick Carter, and Emanuel during one of the games of the NBA finals. He suggested James do an hourlong show devoted to his decision. He subsequently saw Carter and James at a restaurant after the game, and they discussed the idea.“What Maverick really liked is that he could raise a lot of money for charity,” Gray said on the radio show.
James is affiliated with CAA, one of the “big four” Hollywood agencies and a major competitor of Emanuel’s; James doing the show with Emanuel represents a major coup for William Morris Endeavor. Just one more strange twist in the long, strange saga of LeBron’s free agency, which will mercifully end in just a few hours.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 12
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 11
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 33
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 25
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games