Jul 8, 2010, 6:48 PM EDT
According to the Los Angeles Times, prominent Hollywood agent Ari Emanuel may have played a critical role in making tonight’s LeBron James special a (horrifying) reality. Emanuel is best-known for being the head of William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, being the brother of White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, and the inspiration for Jeremy Piven’s character on Entourage.
William Morris Endeavor Agency Co-Chief Executive Ari Emanuel was behind the scenes working with James’ camp on the deal. Veteran sportscaster Jim Gray recounted the story on Dan Patrick’s radio show this morning.Gray said he saw James’ business partner, Maverick Carter, and Emanuel during one of the games of the NBA finals. He suggested James do an hourlong show devoted to his decision. He subsequently saw Carter and James at a restaurant after the game, and they discussed the idea.“What Maverick really liked is that he could raise a lot of money for charity,” Gray said on the radio show.
James is affiliated with CAA, one of the “big four” Hollywood agencies and a major competitor of Emanuel’s; James doing the show with Emanuel represents a major coup for William Morris Endeavor. Just one more strange twist in the long, strange saga of LeBron’s free agency, which will mercifully end in just a few hours.
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 2
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 7
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 3
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 44
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7
- Report: Lakers considering bringing back Metta World Peace 33