Jul 8, 2010, 6:48 PM EDT
According to the Los Angeles Times, prominent Hollywood agent Ari Emanuel may have played a critical role in making tonight’s LeBron James special a (horrifying) reality. Emanuel is best-known for being the head of William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, being the brother of White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, and the inspiration for Jeremy Piven’s character on Entourage.
William Morris Endeavor Agency Co-Chief Executive Ari Emanuel was behind the scenes working with James’ camp on the deal. Veteran sportscaster Jim Gray recounted the story on Dan Patrick’s radio show this morning.Gray said he saw James’ business partner, Maverick Carter, and Emanuel during one of the games of the NBA finals. He suggested James do an hourlong show devoted to his decision. He subsequently saw Carter and James at a restaurant after the game, and they discussed the idea.“What Maverick really liked is that he could raise a lot of money for charity,” Gray said on the radio show.
James is affiliated with CAA, one of the “big four” Hollywood agencies and a major competitor of Emanuel’s; James doing the show with Emanuel represents a major coup for William Morris Endeavor. Just one more strange twist in the long, strange saga of LeBron’s free agency, which will mercifully end in just a few hours.
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 80
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 11
- Report: Clippers pull out of talks with Celtics 30
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit 83
- If Spurs win, Tony Parker should be the Finals MVP 24
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (89)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'