Jul 8, 2010, 6:48 PM EDT
According to the Los Angeles Times, prominent Hollywood agent Ari Emanuel may have played a critical role in making tonight’s LeBron James special a (horrifying) reality. Emanuel is best-known for being the head of William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, being the brother of White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, and the inspiration for Jeremy Piven’s character on Entourage.
William Morris Endeavor Agency Co-Chief Executive Ari Emanuel was behind the scenes working with James’ camp on the deal. Veteran sportscaster Jim Gray recounted the story on Dan Patrick’s radio show this morning.Gray said he saw James’ business partner, Maverick Carter, and Emanuel during one of the games of the NBA finals. He suggested James do an hourlong show devoted to his decision. He subsequently saw Carter and James at a restaurant after the game, and they discussed the idea.“What Maverick really liked is that he could raise a lot of money for charity,” Gray said on the radio show.
James is affiliated with CAA, one of the “big four” Hollywood agencies and a major competitor of Emanuel’s; James doing the show with Emanuel represents a major coup for William Morris Endeavor. Just one more strange twist in the long, strange saga of LeBron’s free agency, which will mercifully end in just a few hours.
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 0
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 1
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 20
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 23