Jul 7, 2010, 1:07 PM EDT
The Minnesota Timberwolves already have Jonny Flynn and Ramon Sessions playing point guard, not to mention the rights to Ricky Rubio stuffed under their pillow. So naturally, David Kahn has done the only sensible thing a GM would do with two PGs under contract and fighting for minutes: try to go get Luke Ridnour. Good show, chap.
According to Gery Woelfel of The Journal Times, Luke Ridnour will meet with the Timberwolves today, likely to try to get himself some Darko money. Minnesota is hardly a dream situation for a PG. Rubio is supposedly the team’s long-term option at the position, but as I mentioned before, there are two point guards already fighting for minutes, and I’m sure Kahn will make a run at at least three more.
Still, if free agents are looking for a cash grab regardless of positional security, Minny could be the place. First they were interested in Rudy Gay despite drafting Wesley Johnson. Then they were interested in David Lee despite having Al Jefferson and Kevin Love on the roster and recently signing Darko Milicic and Nikola Pekovic to free agent deals. Redundancy clearly isn’t a concern of the Kahn-meister, and he’ll pay players handsomely regardless of their fit with the team or, well, talent.
So, Luke: if you’re looking to cash in this summer, enjoy Minnesota.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (82)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'