Jul 7, 2010, 1:07 PM EDT
The Minnesota Timberwolves already have Jonny Flynn and Ramon Sessions playing point guard, not to mention the rights to Ricky Rubio stuffed under their pillow. So naturally, David Kahn has done the only sensible thing a GM would do with two PGs under contract and fighting for minutes: try to go get Luke Ridnour. Good show, chap.
According to Gery Woelfel of The Journal Times, Luke Ridnour will meet with the Timberwolves today, likely to try to get himself some Darko money. Minnesota is hardly a dream situation for a PG. Rubio is supposedly the team’s long-term option at the position, but as I mentioned before, there are two point guards already fighting for minutes, and I’m sure Kahn will make a run at at least three more.
Still, if free agents are looking for a cash grab regardless of positional security, Minny could be the place. First they were interested in Rudy Gay despite drafting Wesley Johnson. Then they were interested in David Lee despite having Al Jefferson and Kevin Love on the roster and recently signing Darko Milicic and Nikola Pekovic to free agent deals. Redundancy clearly isn’t a concern of the Kahn-meister, and he’ll pay players handsomely regardless of their fit with the team or, well, talent.
So, Luke: if you’re looking to cash in this summer, enjoy Minnesota.
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 0
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 18
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48