Jul 7, 2010, 1:07 PM EDT
The Minnesota Timberwolves already have Jonny Flynn and Ramon Sessions playing point guard, not to mention the rights to Ricky Rubio stuffed under their pillow. So naturally, David Kahn has done the only sensible thing a GM would do with two PGs under contract and fighting for minutes: try to go get Luke Ridnour. Good show, chap.
According to Gery Woelfel of The Journal Times, Luke Ridnour will meet with the Timberwolves today, likely to try to get himself some Darko money. Minnesota is hardly a dream situation for a PG. Rubio is supposedly the team’s long-term option at the position, but as I mentioned before, there are two point guards already fighting for minutes, and I’m sure Kahn will make a run at at least three more.
Still, if free agents are looking for a cash grab regardless of positional security, Minny could be the place. First they were interested in Rudy Gay despite drafting Wesley Johnson. Then they were interested in David Lee despite having Al Jefferson and Kevin Love on the roster and recently signing Darko Milicic and Nikola Pekovic to free agent deals. Redundancy clearly isn’t a concern of the Kahn-meister, and he’ll pay players handsomely regardless of their fit with the team or, well, talent.
So, Luke: if you’re looking to cash in this summer, enjoy Minnesota.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 20
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14