Jul 7, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT
You thought the LeBron James television special idea came out of the blue, imagine the teams that have been courting him?
According to Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, officials from the teams that met with LeBron did not know of the television special until the word broke on ESPN last night. Here is his tweet:
Teams & even several people in James own camp were blindsided when hearing about ESPN show.
I’m told none of LeBron’s suitors know his decision. It seems possible of all them could remain in dark leading up to tomorrow night.
ESPN will broadcast LeBron’s decision as part of an hour-long special Thursday night. The idea was hatched by LeBron’s shrinking inner circle, who took it to ESPN. As part of the deal, LeBron’s team will sell sponsorships to the show, with the money going to the Boys & Girls Club of America.
It seems impossible — and even more egomaniacal — to have Cleveland learn if its heart is broken on national television. Same with the other cities that will feel shunned if and when James turns his attention to whatever city he chooses.
This all has the potential to be a public relations disaster for James.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 27
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18