Jul 7, 2010, 9:59 AM EST
You thought the LeBron James television special idea came out of the blue, imagine the teams that have been courting him?
According to Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, officials from the teams that met with LeBron did not know of the television special until the word broke on ESPN last night. Here is his tweet:
Teams & even several people in James own camp were blindsided when hearing about ESPN show.
I’m told none of LeBron’s suitors know his decision. It seems possible of all them could remain in dark leading up to tomorrow night.
ESPN will broadcast LeBron’s decision as part of an hour-long special Thursday night. The idea was hatched by LeBron’s shrinking inner circle, who took it to ESPN. As part of the deal, LeBron’s team will sell sponsorships to the show, with the money going to the Boys & Girls Club of America.
It seems impossible — and even more egomaniacal — to have Cleveland learn if its heart is broken on national television. Same with the other cities that will feel shunned if and when James turns his attention to whatever city he chooses.
This all has the potential to be a public relations disaster for James.
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 49
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14
- Report: Danny Ainge telling other teams he won’t trade Rajon Rondo 13
- PBT Extra: How would the NBA benefit from legalized sports betting? 2
- NBPA ready to appeal Jeffery Taylor’s 24-game suspension 12
- Alex Len, No. 5 pick in a draft full of players who looked like busts as rookies, showing he doesn’t deserve the label 5