Jul 7, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT
You thought the LeBron James television special idea came out of the blue, imagine the teams that have been courting him?
According to Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, officials from the teams that met with LeBron did not know of the television special until the word broke on ESPN last night. Here is his tweet:
Teams & even several people in James own camp were blindsided when hearing about ESPN show.
I’m told none of LeBron’s suitors know his decision. It seems possible of all them could remain in dark leading up to tomorrow night.
ESPN will broadcast LeBron’s decision as part of an hour-long special Thursday night. The idea was hatched by LeBron’s shrinking inner circle, who took it to ESPN. As part of the deal, LeBron’s team will sell sponsorships to the show, with the money going to the Boys & Girls Club of America.
It seems impossible — and even more egomaniacal — to have Cleveland learn if its heart is broken on national television. Same with the other cities that will feel shunned if and when James turns his attention to whatever city he chooses.
This all has the potential to be a public relations disaster for James.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8