Stan Van Gundy speaks for us all — does a basketball player need a television special?

Jul 7, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for SVanGundy.jpgWe’re all sick of the hype. Oh, it’s working — LeBron is getting exactly what he wanted out of this. But we’re still sick of it.

The always frank Stan Van Gundy is with us, people. As told to the Orlando Sentinel.

“It takes 15 seconds to say, ‘I’ve decided to stay in Cleveland,’ but we’ve got another 59 minutes and 45 seconds to, what? Promote LeBron James? As if we don’t do that enough.”

Some other highlights from the interview:

It is a sign of the times. Unfortunately. It’s amazing that a guy as good as Kobe Bryant simply extended his contract with no real fanfare or anything else.

Yeah and Kevin Durant is more in the Kobe Bryant mode. You don’t hear Kobe Bryant and certainly not Kevin Durant talking about their brand. They don’t. I hear that from the other guys. I don’t hear those guys talking about their brand, they’re simply basketball players who want to be great players and win games. Not that those other guys aren’t great players and don’t want to win games. They do, but there’s also more to it. It’s not what I like. Other people, I guess, like it. I’m sure it will be a widely watched show tomorrow. It simply will not have me as an audience.

On Chris Bosh going to Miami:

But he also thinks they are instant contenders (although they need a few pieces to go around them, like Kobe and Gasol have).

I think right off the bat you know there’s another significant contender in the East so that there’s no question it makes things tougher and you’re gonna have to be better. I don’t think there’s any doubt about that. You’re always sort of in the mode of, ‘What do we need to do to get better?’ It doesn’t really change, just adds another very significant competitor.

…I think a lot of people now will look at them as the team to beat in the East. You’re talking two of the top seven or eight offensive players in the NBA on the same team. I don’t think there’s any surprise. I think it’s what pretty much all of us thought would happen all along. I think these guys did a masterful job of creating suspense and carrying out a great charade. I don’t think there was any doubt

1. TL - Jul 7, 2010 at 5:02 PM

“Well, he’s been following him around for two weeks like his lapdog. So that doesn’t really surprise me.”
    Stan IS the man. More people with a microphone in their face need to tell the truth.

2. Evo - Jul 7, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Dude, I officially have a mancrush on SVG. He f*ckin rocks man.

3. Marky Mark - Jul 7, 2010 at 5:26 PM

The lapdog quote is pretty badass.

4. That 1 Guy - Jul 7, 2010 at 5:26 PM

You people in the media are the reason why it has manifested into this.
    Throughout all this charade, I’ve ignored the “hype”. Hell, I don’t even watch ESPN unless a game of interest is on. Hate that network. You have no one to blame but yourselves for feeding into it. Unfortunately, you people crave it(the phrase “having your cake and eating it too” applies) and it opens the door for even more egotistical douches.

5. Axe Head - Jul 7, 2010 at 5:27 PM

SVG is always interesting. Love to see the smoldering resentment towards the Heat catch fire.
    He’s right about LeBron–championship rings are just a means to the end for him.

6. Phil - Jul 7, 2010 at 5:50 PM

I agree with that 1 guy.
    I can’t even watch ESPN anymore. I used to love Sportscenter. And even caught a little Mike and Mike. It’s now become a mixture of TMZ/E!.
    Even the finals on ABC were stupid. Those crappy halftime dramatic music pieces were crappy. Those stupid kiss up interviews with Magic and John Thompson were stupid.
    Leave the NBA to TNT.
    I have zero respect for Lebron, and ESPN isn’t a place I go to for sports anymore.

7. Kako - Jul 7, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I’m not a fan of Stan at all but man I agree with him 100%. I’m starting to like Lebron less and less now his ego is off the charts. I’d rather hear about Bret Favre right now.

8. jgc711 - Jul 7, 2010 at 7:29 PM

there’s so many things to do than watch the “drama queen” proclaim where he is playing this season…why do we need an hour…i agree with svg…maybe there is one company behind this…could it be nike? just do it…or please don’t do it…and whatever lebron decides and he still did not win it all, this might backfire on him…

9. ChicagoJeff - Jul 7, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I gotta give it up to SVG. I think he acts like a drama queen sometimes (the bs about xmas games) but he’s called this LeBron show and the “lapdog” comment was on the money. I can guarantee nobody from the four letter network would dare make those comments.

10. Real Basketball Fan - Jul 8, 2010 at 6:58 AM

Van Gundy is just jealous. If he were being courted by Orlando or if Stan was still the coach of the Heat, he wouldn’t have a problem with it. Absolutely nothing is going on in sports exept mundane summer baseball games, and in addition, he’s using the interest in his future to raise money for a worthy cause. However, people find a way to criticize that….when athletes are doing dumb stuff daily? Huh?
    Also, for those hoping they’ll fail or saying it taints his legacy, how’d Garnett staying “loyal” to the t’Wolves work out? He definitely would wish he’d been playing with his counterparts in Boston 10 years ago so that they could run at more championships. These guysa re essentially doing thes ame thing in the prime of their careers. He’ll never win in Cleveland because no one wants to play there, and Omari will not be the same player away from Nash. James is making a very smart choice if this comes to frution.

11. Real Basketball Fan - Jul 8, 2010 at 7:08 AM

12. Yo - Jul 8, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Lebron is a punk, he is nothing compare to Mike and Kobe, has anyone seen Jordan do that crap?Lebron have you reached the NBA final the last two years? NO, you suck under pressure, you are over rated, you have no ring, you are just freakishly athletic, you aint no closer, you cant make players better, if Lebron gets big money then what does Kobe get, I would rather him anyday,Lebron the big picture is basketball not hype, please take the ghetto out of sports

13. Yo - Jul 8, 2010 at 11:12 AM

14. Real Basketball Fan - Jul 8, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Yes, he’s such a punk although he never is into any antics off the court and only elevated a horrible franchise to the most relevance they’ll ever have. How’d Bryant look in L.A. before the Grizzlies gave them Pau? Not to good as I recall, garnering 6th seeds and being caught on youtube clips dissing Andrew Bynum, demanding trades, among other things. But yes, let’s put that petulant child on a pedastal in order to tear down another guy, who has stated from day one that he just wants to win and be great.
    His contract is up with Cleveland, he doesn’t owe them anything. He gave them 7 years, and they failed him. Instead of pulling the trigger on Shaq at the trade deadline (who was playing great in Phoenix at the time) to put them over the top, they sign him after the season, when Shaq’s decline is only greater. This last season, instead of pulling the trigger for Omare, they trade for Jamison. Are you kidding me? And people are blaming him for leaving? Why, because you actually think West and Williams are complimentary pieces fit as running mates? What are you people smoking, cause that’s some good stuff.

15. realist - Jul 8, 2010 at 4:34 PM

“he’s using the interest in his future to raise money for a worthy cause”
    Really? I guess Lebron has you fooled too. Of the millions upon millions of ways to donate to charity, Lebron picks a circus-like hour-long spectacle? Give me a break, real charity is never publicised like this.
    “How’d Bryant look in L.A. before the Grizzlies gave them Pau? Not to good as I recall, garnering 6th seeds and being caught on youtube clips dissing Andrew Bynum, demanding trades, among other things.”
    Not even G.O.A.T Jordan could have led that team anywhere deep in the playoffs. Second leading scorer was Brian Cook. Who? How about the starting PG (aka Mr 10 day contract) Smush Parker, and perennial star caliber center Kwame Brown. Kobe’s a winner and will do anything to win. Lebrons more interested in the money aspect and becoming a multi-billion brand. I cant hate on him for trying to be the richest hoops player ever, I just wished he would be more concerned with the actual game itself.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches