Jul 7, 2010, 2:03 PM EDT
The LeBron James sweepstakes are not over.
Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade will be in Miami, and it is possible that James will join them (if Toronto will take on Michael Beasley’s contracts or if the big three are all willing to take a pay cut). But other teams are trying to provide an alternative.
That alternative is Carlos Boozer.
The Cavaliers, Bulls and Nets have all intensified negotiations with Boozer, according to Chad Ford. In large part that is to help lure LeBron to their cities.
If LeBron can’t go to Miami, he still wants to go to a place he can win (he’ll get the same max money at any city outside Cleveland). He has never had a true superstar running mate, such as a Pau Gasol for Kobe or the big three in Boston.
The New York Knicks can offer Amare Stoudemire. Not much else right now, but remember at the trade deadline last year LeBron was pushing Cleveland to trade for Stoudemire (they got Jamison instead).
The Bulls have Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah, but with Carlos Boozer in the fold that is a team that would be a contender instantly in the East with LeBron. Even without LeBron Boozer makes that team much better.
Cleveland has won the most games in the East two years running and with Boozer alongside LeBron they would be a contender. However they would need a sign-and-trade to get him out of Utah, and they would bring Boozer back to a city where he has been reviled after leaving them at the alter for Utah five years ago.
The Nets also have a nice young core that looks better with Boozer, and with LeBron would set a new record for biggest single-season turnaround ever.
None of that may matter. But nobody knows what is in LeBron’s mind right now, and the speed at which things have changed this off-season means another change could come. Or maybe two.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 39
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?