Jul 6, 2010, 11:05 PM EST
Dwyane Wade is looking for a friend.
Perhaps you can be his friend.
There are a few caveats. He would like his new friend to be at least 6 feet 8. He would like him to possess a low-post game. And he would like him to arrive in the next day or two.
For now, Wade is reduced to keeping active on a smaller scale, running a youth basketball camp in Davie, Florida, at Nova Southeastern University.
That’s where the Miami Heat free-agent guard was Tuesday and where he will be through Thursday.
Thursday, of course, also is when NBA free agents can begin signing contracts.
And while not a lot is known about NBA Free Agency 2010, this much you can bank:
If Chris Bosh signs with the Heat, Dwyane Wade will sign back, as well. Immediately.
Of course, more than a mere signature is necessary with Bosh, who insists on maximizing this process through more than sheer mass of Twitter posts. He wants the same six-year, $125 million maximum contract Wade would get by signing back with the Heat.
Only to get it, he first must be re-signed by the Toronto Raptors and then simultaneously traded, the dreaded sign-and-trade.
And yes, we’ve heard all about how the Heat has precious little to offer, with only Michael Beasley and Mario Chalmers under contract. But the Heat does have something that Toronto has great familiarity with, a future first-round pick that is due from the Raptors.
That lottery-protected nugget was acquired by the Heat in the 2009 Shawn Marion-Jermaine O’Neal deal.
Get a first-round pick from the Cavaliers, it likely is in the late 20s. Get a first-round pick from a Bulls team bolstered by Bosh, and it’s also in that range. But get your own pick back, and, well, something in the teens appears more than likely.
No, Bryan Colangelo is not in the charity game.
But he can reclaim something of his own, while allowing Wade to find the type of friend he has desperately been seeking this past week.
Ira Winderman writes regularly for NBCSports.com and covers the Heat and the NBA for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 0
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 23
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)