Jul 6, 2010, 12:35 AM EDT
So [the fact that Chris Paul and Deron Williams may miss the games due to injury] means LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Carlos Boozer, Tayshaun Prince, Michael Redd and Jason Kidd are all out of the picture for USA Basketball this summer. Kidd (retired from USA basketball competition) and Redd (injured knee), though, were not candidates due to not being on the 31-man roster.“It’s a combination of three things, free agency, injuries and having gone hard for a long time,” Colangelo said of 2008 Olympians not playing. “And I’m OK with that.”
Most of the big stars have legitimate reasons for missing the FIBA games — James, Wade, and Bosh have huge decisions to make. Bryant is recovering from injuries, as is Redd. Dwight Howard has played in 489 regular-season games (out of a possible 492) in his six-year career, and could use work on his individual game.
- Oscar Robertson says if he were Carmelo Anthony “I would leave today” 24
- Larry Bird, through Pacers general manager, says Frank Vogel’s job is safe 5
- Can LaMarcus Aldridge break the all-time single-playoff scoring record? 23
- Thursday NBA playoff previews: Which Indiana team shows up? 11
- Wednesday NBA grades: It’s LaMarcus Aldridge’s world and the Rockets have to live in it 21