Jul 6, 2010, 12:35 AM EDT
So [the fact that Chris Paul and Deron Williams may miss the games due to injury] means LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Carlos Boozer, Tayshaun Prince, Michael Redd and Jason Kidd are all out of the picture for USA Basketball this summer. Kidd (retired from USA basketball competition) and Redd (injured knee), though, were not candidates due to not being on the 31-man roster.“It’s a combination of three things, free agency, injuries and having gone hard for a long time,” Colangelo said of 2008 Olympians not playing. “And I’m OK with that.”
Most of the big stars have legitimate reasons for missing the FIBA games — James, Wade, and Bosh have huge decisions to make. Bryant is recovering from injuries, as is Redd. Dwight Howard has played in 489 regular-season games (out of a possible 492) in his six-year career, and could use work on his individual game.
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 0
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 14
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 14
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 40
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 5