Jul 6, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
With their last year’s backup point guard — Jason Williams — turning 35 next season, the Orlando Magic wanted to get a little younger in their backup to Jameer Nelson.
Hello Chris Duhon.
The Magic have inked Duhon to a four-year, $15 million deal, according to Chad Ford at ESPN.
The Magic have gotten younger, but not better. Last season Williams shot 44 percent from the field, 38 percent from three. Duhon shot 37.3 percent overall and 34 percent from three. Williams had a true shooting percentage of 55.5 percent and a PER of 12.9, Duhon had a TS% of 50.1 and a PER of 10.7. And Duhon was playing in the offense-friendly Mike D’Antoni system.
It’s not a great year for getting quality point guards. Maybe Duhon will play better in this structured offense. Or maybe he plays better with Stan Van Gundy yelling at him. Or maybe not. Thing is, the Magic did not just get better, especially if anything happens where he has to play extended minutes.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 5
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 4
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 16
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games