Jul 6, 2010, 9:03 AM EDT
We don’t know. Nobody in the media knows.
That won’t stop us from speculating. We’ll use a shred of information to concoct entire theories. We’ll guess. (Complain about that if you want, but those guesses get a lot of viewers — you like it so we keep doing it). But we don’t know what LeBron James is going to do. In a world and news cycle that thrives on information, we have no good stuff.
Because LeBron James is on lockdown. He has tightened his inner circle way down — even one-time confidant William Wesley is on the outside now — and nobody has info. Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer explains (via twitter).
At this point, LeBron has tightly closed ranks, only seriously talking about decision with a couple people. Which is why so little info.
Also, can confirm several reports of a rift between Wesley & James camp. Wes was indeed pushing Chicago, I’m told.
But let me say, LeBron & Maverick Carter relaxed & pleasant to stalking media (me). They’re having way more fun than us. Based on several people who have talked to LeBron in last 72 hours, he is giving impression he’s undecided after last week’s meetings.
William Wesley was the ultimate insider, and now he is outside. He was the guy pushing the “trade for Chris Paul now and LeBron will play with him” idea last month. He pushed Chicago. But Wesley benefits if LeBron leaves Cleveland. In Cleveland, Maverick Carter and LeBron’s close friends have a lot of power — power they would not have (or have as much of) in Chicago or Miami or New Jersey or New York. Wesley would still have his power, he could even fill the power void where LeBron’s friends lost out.
But the ultimate insider is outside looking in, too, apparently. And you wonder why the media has so little info.
You could try to read into all this — maybe Cleveland still has the upper hand if it is his close friends who still can whisper in LeBron’s ear. But that is just more speculation. And we’ve all had about enough of that. It’s time for information. And a decision.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 3
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15