Jul 6, 2010, 5:19 PM EDT
It’s all about timing. Understanding the market and timing.
Right now the sports world is focused on LeBron. (Well, American sports world, in Holland they are focused on other things.) He has never been more watched — even in the finals — and if you are going to launch a new marketing initiative, now is the time.
LeBron James is a championship marketer.
LeBron James has a new twitter account (@KingJames). He has had one tweet as of this writing.
Hello World, the Real King James is in the Building “Finally”. My Brother @oneandonlycp3 gas’d me up to jump on board so I’m here. Haaaa
And you wonder why we are hooked on twitter — it’s the insight into the soul.
But LeBron had passed 135,000 followers in less than one day. He is hot. Maybe Chris Paul pushed him to do it, but no harder than James’ PR people had been pushing him forever. James is not a social media guy, he has not been into Facebook or Twitter. Even his official Website has been non-existent for over a year.
But the site is now live (and linked to a Facebook page). He has a twitter account. Right at the time he is going to announce where he will play the next few years in a flurry of publicity. The time when so many eyes are on him.
I’m not a big believer in coincidence. This is all part of the planned new marketing of James (wherever he lands). It’s about building the brand, and launching these things when everyone is watching so you get the most bang for the buck. So he has a twitter account now. No way he announces his choice on twitter. (Chris Bosh on the other hand… wouldn’t shock me.)
When he gets as interesting as Kevin Durant or Ron Artest on twitter, then I’ll be really interested.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 2
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 18
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7