Jul 6, 2010, 8:38 AM EDT
Would you rather have Joe Johnson or LeBron James on your team?
Exactly. It’s not even close. Even if you think there are flaws with LeBron’s game, there are far fewer than Johnson. LeBron is a true first option. Joe Johnson is a true second option on a title team. LeBron is a true max guy. Johnson is good but not max, except apparently in Atlanta.
But Chicago’s Derrick Rose apparently preferred Johnson to LeBron in Chicago.
That rumor was out there, confirmed this week by Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer (via twitter).
(LeBron) really likes Rose & Noah. But there’s lack if shooters on roster. Also it doesn’t sound like he’s exactly being welcomed by Rose.
Didn’t say Rose was anti-LeBron. But the word is preference was Joe Johnson. They have same agent. That is what multiple people tell me.
You can see the trace of logic in there. LeBron is a guy who initiates the offense with the ball in his hands and needs to be surrounded by knockdown shooters. Rose is a guy who initiates the offense with the ball in his hands and needs to be surrounded by knockdown shooters. Rose and LeBron would have to figure out how to coexist and work well off the ball with each other. Joe Johnson can shoot the rock and is a more natural fit.
That said — are you kidding me?
LeBron is a transcendent, once-in-a-generation talent. These chances do not come along often, and if you get even a whiff of a chance to play with LeBron you take it. Say what you will about him, LeBron is having fun playing the game. You will have fun playing with him, and you will win a lot. There are not others like him and if you can get him to your team you recruit him like mad then happily give him the key to the franchise. He wants to sleep in your bed, you give him the condo. This is a rare opportunity.
Fit? That’s nice. It helps. But talent is the first real step to winning, and LeBron puts you three steps ahead of everyone else. Then you just need to figure out how not to let everyone else catch you (Cleveland hasn’t yet).
Come on Rose? JJ? Really?
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 12
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 9
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 59
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 65
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 41
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8