Jul 6, 2010, 12:18 PM EST
LeBron James wants to play with Chris Bosh, sees him as the key to a team that can win titles. He’s reportedly trying to recruit him to Cleveland for that reason. Toronto has a sign-and-trade in place with Cleveland.
Dwyane Wade wants to play with Chris Bosh, sees him as the key to a team that can win titles. He’s reportedly trying to recruit him to Miami for that reason.
For all the talk about the Summer of LeBron, it is Chris Bosh controlling this free agent season. He is the lynchpin. Chicago understood this early on. His decision will determine so many teams’ futures. Wade wants to play with both LeBron — however not in Cleveland — and Wade — anywhere — but he is going to have to choose (the Miami trio idea is the longest shot on the board). If LeBron is willing to leave Cleveland for Bosh, that may be your winner. But it is not simple any way.
If Bosh heads to Miami with Wade, does LeBron stay in Cleveland? Does he decide to go to Chicago and team up with Derrick Rose or head to New Jersey to join their young core and build there? He may well stay home anyway.
If Bosh heads to Cleveland or Chicago (or NJ) with LeBron, what does Wade do? Amare Stoudemire is off the board, would Carlos Boozer be a good enough fallback that Wade stays in South Beach? Does he head home to Chicago, or become the star for New Jersey? Join up with Amare in NYC?
More questions than answers, and that’s just the two stars and they teams they are directly involved with. There is a lot of trickle-down.
And it all hinges on what Bosh really wants to do.
After years of feeling left out of the loop playing in Toronto — loved by the fans there but not seen on national television often in the states, not able to pull in the same endorsements as other stars — it is Bosh being recruited by the biggest names in the sport. It is Chris Bosh as the lynchpin in the Summer of LeBron.
And he is loving it.
- Where I call out Dan Patrick, Charles Barkley for sounding like old men asking, “When did basketball get so bad?” 0
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 9
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 10
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 3
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)