Jul 6, 2010, 2:02 PM EST
Amare wants to bring Carmelo Anthony to New York. He has not signed the $65 million extension in front of him from the Nuggets because he wants more out of them — if he doesn’t get it he could be gone.
No, he’s not.
The Nuggets aren’t going to trade him. He can posture, but he will sign the deal. He is not a guy with a lot of leverage.
First, about that trade idea, no way Denver does that. They are too smart for that. Don’t believe me. Check out what a Nuggets official told ESPN’s Chris Broussard:
“There is no way we are trading Carmelo Anthony,” the official said. “We’re 100 percent certain of that.”
Secondly, Melo is going to sign that deal sitting on the table. He says he is undecided, but he’ll sign it. Unless he doesn’t like money.
This year’s max guys are talking about making $1 million or so less over three years whether they sign with the home team or take their skills on the road. (It’s the sixth year of a max deal that is the big boost, the larger raises are not a huge boost the first few years of a six-year deal.)
But if Melo does not sign the three-year, $65 million deal in front of him, he will sign a deal a deal under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. We don’t know what that will be, but you can bet it won’t be great for players coming out of this recession. Max deals will be less, you can bet on it. (Yes, I know, I saw what teams are signing the Amir Johnson’s of the world for, but nobody thinks there will not be some give back by the unions in the new deal.)
So Melo can sign the $65 million now and have that grandfathered in, made max money for three years. Or, he can bet the players will be better off under the new CBA. Exactly. He signs.
Carmelo Anthony is a Nugget. Get used to it. He’s going nowhere for a while.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)