Jul 5, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT
The man who was the general manager when the Miami Heat won the NBA title — meaning the man who drafted Dwyane Wade — is the guy Portland is targeting to be their next GM.
Randy Pfund is next up on the clock, according to multiple reports. The Blazers had first interviewed and talked to Danny Ferry, but that didn’t work (Ferry comes out of the Spurs system where owners are seen and not heard, and that is not Portland).
On one side, a lot of very good things happened while Pfund was general manager of the Heat. He traded for Shaquille O’Neal (back when that was still a smart move). He drafted Wade and Caron Butler and Bruce Bowen. They won a title, which is what Portland wants.
But as it was when he was an assistant coach for the Showtime Lakers, Pfund works in Pat Riley’s shadow. And you can legitimately question how much those smart moves were Pfund and how much were Riley.
Portland will have to decide that for themselves.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15