Report: Knicks, Amare Stoudemire have agreed to terms. Finally.

Jul 5, 2010, 8:32 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for stoudemire_dunk.jpgUPDATE 8:32 pm: Amare Stoudemire tweeted this tonight:

I want to say thanks to all my SUNS Fans. Thanks to my PHX SUNS teammates, an the Coaches. I love you guys, sorry It didn’t work out. Gone!

5:43 pm: Amare Stoudemire now gets to live up to the fun of being the Knicks big off-season signing. And he seems ready for it, based on what he said at a press conference tonight (via Alan Hahn’s twitter account):

Amar’e puts on Knicks hat and says “Yeah, the Knicks are back!”

Several sources — Newsday’s Hahn was first with other reports confirming quickly — say that the Knicks and Amare Stoudemire have reached a deal.

It was pretty clear this was going well when Stoudemire’s image was on the Madison Garden Marque, in a Knicks uniform, including it saying “STAT City.”

But before everyone agreed the lawyers got to earn some extra money. Amare Stoudemire and the Knicks had the framework of a five-year, $100 million deal in place when they walked in the room together this afternoon. But the Knicks made a more formal presentation to the guy they already had sewn up, and then started working the details. All while the lawyers are on the clock.

We also all know there are a lot of questions. After the All-Star break last year Stoudemire was as good a player as there was in the league, but he still has had microfracture surgery on a knee and had major eye issues in the past. There’s also the question of if he can carry a team, if he can be the same guy when Steve Nash isn’t feeding him the ball. And how will he handle all that in the New York marketplace?

Still, the Knicks got one of the game’s elite power forwards. That is a good place to start rebuilding. Now we have to see who else this influences to come to NYC.

1. swedishmeatballs - Jul 5, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I can have Keith Hernandez here within the hour!

2. steve - Jul 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Once again, the Phoenix Suns have let a superstar get away. Why spend the money when you can still fill the seats just by making the playoffs? If Amare ever had any faith in the Suns desire to keep him, it dissolved earlier this year anyway.
    I don’t blame this all on management – who can realistically spend $100 million dollars? Why does everything have to be about the money? I’ve been a Suns fan for as long as I can remember, and now even further doubt the likelihood of us ever bringing home the trophy.
    What’s the point of being a fan of any other teams than the ones who will spend the super-dough on players? It’s getting old, and so am I.
    Maybe it’s time stop hoping (and watching.)

3. Brad - Jul 5, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Way to go Amare. Don’t know if New York has CPK like the Biltmore, but I’m sure you’ll find some other lunch place. Thanks for giving us 8 entertaining years.

4. Sarl - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:00 PM

The Knicks are a bunch of dumb azzes. They are stupid for investing 100mil in a player like Amari. He will be a good player but he will not be great. Remember Eddie Curry, another big name flop who they are still paying. Unless the Knicks get a good point guard, they will not have anyone to get the ball to Amari where he likes it. This whole scheme by the Knicks is doomed for failure. It all started when they gave up two years of respectability to go after LBJ who will remain in Cleveland. The Knick will have nothing to show for this disaster except for all of the idiots who paid extortionist prices to watch a team void of talent play for the past two years. These contracts some of the teams are giving out this year borders on criminal, ah la, Joe Johnson and others.

5. JOHN GILBERTFJR - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:05 PM

OK So the New York Knicks get Stadoumire but at what price. The Knicks also lost David Lee who is in my view a better player since he is younger and healthier and knows the team well. The NY Knicks could have offer the same deal to David Lee and surround him with star players and that would have been a better way to build a championship team. The Knicks can still resign David Lee but will they? Probably not! The Knicks can still be a powerhouse with Lee and Stadoumire.

6. jr - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:10 PM

OOOOO YEA !!!!! CANT WAIT!

7. Corby - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:11 PM

As a life long Phoenix Suns fan I can say that I am disapointed in Amare for not staying with the Suns and not upset at the Phoenix Suns for adjusting their offer. We made a good faith effort to resign him through five years for 90 million dollars. However Amare did not wish to take a contract which kept him acountable for his health and playing time (the last two years of this contract were gauranteed only if he played a minimum amount of minutes).
    He will have a good career with D’Antoni and the Knicks. But not the Hall of Fame career he would have had with the Phoenix Suns. The same thing happened to Joe Johnson when he left the Suns to play for the Hawks. Big contract with a less than desireable supporting line up produced a loosing team each year, missing out on the playoffs until the past two seasons. The same thing is set to happen in NYC. As much as I like D’Antoni, he didn’t know how to hold players accontable on BOTH sides of the ball. I think Charles Barkley said it best: There’s no reason why a young, 6’10” power forward averaging 20+ points a game should not be averaging 10 rebounds a game!
    So have fun playing in the limelight of NY Knicks basketball Amare! Us Phoenix Suns faithfull will ultimately get the last laugh as we continue to succeed in the Western Conference without you and produce a playoff caliaber team without your overgrown, childlike attitude and contract. I bought myself an Amare jersey because I once upon a time thought of you as the franchise player who would lead us to the championship. Guess I should have gone with my wife’s choice and bought a Nash jersey instead. Oh well. Still love my Phoenix Suns!

8. Jon - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Can’t believe anyone is worth that money. Especially Amare. Is he good? Sure. That’s a given. $100M?!? God-willing the Knicks have a massive collapse (again? still?), and someone decides to open their eyes. Won’t be D’Antoni, since it’s obvious where his head is….but someone will come around.

9. Curtis W. - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:28 PM

See ya later Amare… Nash won’t miss you that much… Good luck in NY.. They may end up tearing ya up if you don’t live up to “your” expectations.. You got your money… Congrats!!! You deserve it… I’m curious to see where your career goes from here….

10. Anonymous - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Yall are some haters man. Don’t get mad cuz yall team ain’t doing nothing. We got a big man now everything else will fall into place!!!! DON’T HATE APPRECIATE!! GO KNICKS!!!

11. ron - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:42 PM

silly comment curtis. dont be ignorent. nash will miss him a lot and he will be the first to say so. if you watch the suns play, you would see that they have the best 1-2 pick in roll in basketball. who on the suns will replace that. truth hurts but it is what it is. dont be a baby about it.

12. JOHN GILBERTFJR - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:47 PM

The NY Knicks must be enjoying themselves because they have part one of the championship puzzle completed. If everything ends up as expected, LeBron James will be knocking at their doors soon right? If not LeBron, perhaps Tony Parker or Carmelo Anthony right? Easier said than done. I do feel that the 2010 Knicks will end up doing like the 1996 team, who lost in the first round. Perhaps, they will lose this time around in the second round. Don’t get me wrong, I love the New York knicks, and I wish them the best but they are doing it wrong all over again. The fact is that LeBron as good as he is, he knew he couldn’t handle the New York pressure, and you think Stadoumire will. Please. You think Carmelo or Parker will. Oh please! The best chance to win was when Patrick Ewing was around. Yeah, remember Charles Oakley, John Starks, Allan Houston, and Larry Johnson. They could have been great. But were they? But will they now? Sure, if James comes just like Jordan came in 1996. If and only if, then it could have been just like it could still be. Forever Knicks! Let’s hope this is the beginning of a championship run.

13. dunkin' donut - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:49 PM

“I shaved my legs for this?!”
    All that sucking from the Knicks and THIS is the big free agent they land?
    He’s going to be on the decline; he’s at the outer edge of his prime, considering that knee. He’s not THAT good anyway. And, he’s soft; the eastern conference is gonna eat him alive.
    Good thing I’m not a Knicks fan!

14. mikesporty - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:49 PM

keep dreaming… Knicks ain’t going nowhere!

15. anonymous - Jul 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM

The Suns didn’t want to give Amare the years he was looking for. His mother is also crazy and so the team is happy to see her go.

16. jenna - Jul 5, 2010 at 8:06 PM

what an absolute joke. stoudamire is a good guy, a solid player, but that’s it. knicks management is really in the clouds. don’t they understand their best teams in the 90’s were built with several good players who knew their roles? one overpaid star won’t do anything. the team will be just as bad, unless they sign another huge free agent, which is unlikely. knicks doomed to fail. lebron, wade, are not stupid enough to come to new york. at the very least they consider chicago, etc. because of decent players there. what a joke to think stoudamire is the beginning of a championship run. he had several good players around him in phoenix and did nothing. he and the knicks are toast. at least he has made himself alot of money, I never blame a man for that! this is american. i blame the knicks and knick fans for allowing a signing like this think it’s a championship run.

17. Phil - Jul 5, 2010 at 8:22 PM

So who’s the Knick’s leader?
    McGrady? No… he’s thought of as lazy, no D, no heart.
    Amare? No… see above. They call him STAT because he’s more worried about himself than his team. Without someone feeding him the ball 8 feet from the basket, he’s nothing.
    D’Antoni? No… his 7 second offense is awesome. But he’s got no one that can push the ball.

18. Drew - Jul 5, 2010 at 8:27 PM

On the surface, this is a good signing but for 5 years and $100 million? I think he will be productive and makes the Knicks better, but how much better? David Lee, an unselfish and versatile player, is probably on his way to signing elsewhere now. The comforting advantage of having Steve Nash delivering him the ball will be missed. I think Knick fans will grow tired of Stoudemire’s lack of defensive passion (a staple of Knicks teams of the past). If they lock up Lebron, this move looks great. If they don’t, this move is respectable but not great. They’re a lower playoff tier team at best right now.

19. Big V - Jul 5, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Stoudemire does not deserve a max contract. His mediocre rebounding, defense, and injury history dictate that he’s not a max player. However, as a Knick fan, I can agree with the decision to sign him ONLY if it also produces LBJ. If not, I would consider this a failed offseason. Without James, I’d rather hold on to David Lee and see what else is out there next season with Curry’s contract coming off the books a new crop of free agents.
    Unfortunately, Stoudemire is not the guy that will bring us a ring, at least not on his own.

20. Mike - Jul 5, 2010 at 8:44 PM

This is just the first step…
    Sign Lebron and then wait for Melo and Tony Parker in 2011
    2010 Roster
    C: Amare
    PF: Gallo
    SF: James
    SG: Chandler
    PG: Tony Douglas
    2011 roster
    C: Amare
    PF: Gallo
    SF: Melo
    SG: James
    PG: Tony Parker

21. Chris - Jul 5, 2010 at 8:54 PM

What I don’t like is Barkley was right :-) He said the Suns would trade Amare and start rebuilding. I was hoping to see LeBron James in Phoenix but I guess that isn’t going to happen. Wishful thinking.
    Hey Charles does your uniform still fit? Suns have an opening…

22. Joshua - Jul 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I would remain anonymous with this kind of comment too. Amare (for those of us who spell correctly) will be the biggest failure in Knicks history if they don’t get him a killer point guard or LBJ. It reminds me of the Magic giving Rashard Lewis a 114 million dollar contract over 7 years. LMAO… what did he average in the playoffs this year? I believe it was just north of four points per game. Anyways, yes the Knicks have a big man now… the worst defensive big man in the league. Another losing deal for the Knicks.

23. pop57 - Jul 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM

sari cuz u cant compare stoudemire to curry amare is a proven player even tho i think curry is a solid plyer when given opprotunity.. but u know i do agree they need a point guard and they gonna get one in a sign and tarde wit david lee or just pick up rafer or omar cook im just sayin a true ny point guard in dantoni run and gun wit amare.new york is back with or with out lebron

24. CB - Jul 5, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Well. At least the Knicks made a good move in the right direction. First step to LBJ. I think they forced his hand. I also think that the whole “salary cap meeting” on Saturday was to see if the financial logistics would work out to bring in Carmelo, if LBJ and Amare’e were on the same team.
    If the Knicks convinced them they could get Carmelo too, then I think it is a done deal that LBJ is going to NY.
    This also forces LBJ’s and Wade’s hands. If Wade does go to Shy Town and takes Bosh with them, then LBJ has no choice but to switch to a team with another max player to compete. Boozer is great, but he is neither Bosh or Amare’e. He is frequently thought of as third in line. Hell, I would take David Lee over him as I believe him to have more heart.
    Donnie and the boys played this right. They had to be the first to jump, and they did. If Miami or Bulls pull down the first Free Agent, then the Knicks most likely end up with David Lee again (who I love, but Amare’e he is not).

25. steve - Jul 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Certainly not “hatin’,” but don’t get your hopes up just yet, Knicks fans. You’re already talking a game that does not yet exist (and probably won’t.) Without another equally significant signing (at least one,) the Knicks will still be lucky to make the playoffs. Defense is the name of the game in the East, and they just spent $100 million on absolutely nothing in that area. As somebody else already pointed out, without Nash, don’t expect miracles from Amare (oh, and don’t expect rebounds either.) Despite all the free agency hoopla, get ready for the status quo next year – championships aren’t just bought with money – but WELL-SPENT money. Good luck Amare and Knicks.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches