Iverson Tweets he wants back in the NBA

Jul 5, 2010, 9:44 PM EST

NBA_iverson.jpgAllen Iverson is ready for his big comeback.

I want to return to the NBA this season, and help any team that wants me, in any capacity that they feel that I can help. I’m disappointed, and I owe my fans more than what they have seen of me the last couple seasons. However, now that my family is healthy and rock solid, I can concentrate fully on doing what I do best.

He wants back in and says he is reformed. I would like a Maserati.

Nobody is crazy enough to give me an Italian sports car. But you can bet an NBA GM will give Iverson a chance.

Look, if he is good to his word and would accept a role coming off the bench, there is a spot for him in the league. He can still finish at the rim in traffic, he can still get to the line. At this point in his career he is the energy scoring fan favorite sixth/seventh man. He could really help a team doing that.

The problem is that in his last two stops — Memphis and Philadelphia — he could not accept that role. He was a distraction, and pushed publicly to start. It was hard on the clubhouse, and he burned the teams that took chances on him. Part of that was a seriously sick child that was an important life issue for him to deal with, but the team didn’t feel he handled any of this well. His daughter, thankfully, appears to be better.

If he has changed, if he can accept the role and do it for not a ton of money, he might get a chance… oh, who are we kidding, somebody will give him a chance either way. It’s just a question of whether they regret it or not.

1. esox - Jul 6, 2010 at 12:08 AM

P-P-P-Practice?

2. Phil - Jul 6, 2010 at 12:16 AM

All your bridges are burned my friend….
    Enjoy retirement. Hopefully you have some money left.

3. jon - Jul 6, 2010 at 12:49 AM

He was actually good in Philly last year. Really accepted the “role player” gig.
    Didn’t complain about minutes or shots.

4. eagle108 - Jul 6, 2010 at 12:58 AM

If he’s smart he’ll be instant offense off the bench for a contender. He’s no longer top 5 (or top 50) but he’s still better than half the league.
    He poured 17 pts on the Lakers in one quarter 3 months ago.

5. Cisco - Jul 6, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Lakers should take an interest In A I…he would b good off The bench for # 24

6. Mike - Jul 6, 2010 at 2:51 AM

Agreed Jon. What are you talking about Kurt? You have no idea what happened in philly this last time…. In fact, his daughter was sick and they had no clue what was going on. Glad to see that his daughter is doing well.

7. Antoine - Jul 6, 2010 at 10:32 AM

That would be nice but hes got too much ego problems and its even worst then Artest.Artest is a coachable player but A.I. is a little different.

8. ocgunslinger - Jul 6, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I really respected Alan Iverson as a very talented player. IF he would accept the role that he is best suited for he would be an upgrade for many teams. If he can’t accept that role then it would be a major distraction and a major signing mistake. Only one way to find out though….

9. ron - Jul 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM

lakers would be crazy to take a chance on iverson. the only thing that cancer will do is ruin a team like he always does. why should he change now. he has nothing to lose if somebody signs him.

10. joseph - Jul 6, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Happy trails to you AI… The only reason talk about him is because the NBA wants us too. He can team up with Shack and form an expansion team.. Demarcus Russell needs a friend…..

11. roy - Jul 6, 2010 at 6:46 PM

If he accepts a bench role he’s automatically in the running to be the 6th Man of the Year.
    He can still get the opposing team into the penalty in about 4 minutes flat every quarter. That’s huge in the playoffs

12. zack - Jul 7, 2010 at 2:15 PM

iverson is still a great asset to a team he is 35 not 44 he has 3 good year left in him if jason kidd can still play and shaq at 39 a lil energetic allen iverson can still prove he has gas left in the tank he is losing his step but still scores and gets to the rim and in this economy will draw a crowd.. i think allen iverson should go with lebron or the celtics to get his title..

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches