Jul 5, 2010, 9:37 AM EDT
Dwyane Wade is back in Miami. For four days. And not to sign any contracts.
He flew back into the town begging him to stay as a player not to make any kind of announcement about his future, but to be at the Dwyane Wade All Star Camp, his youth camp (ages 7 to 18).
He also will meet with the Heat owner, Micky Arison, according to our own Ira Winderman (writing for the Sun Sentinel).
Because, like everything Wade does right now, it is overshadowed by his looming free agency decision.
That’s why the Miami Heat had gathered about 50 Heat fans at the airport today, to cheer on Wade exiting the aircraft. They wanted to make Wade feel loved and wanted.
Except they were at the wrong terminal. The crowd was at the Signature Air Terminal, where the airline had said the plane would come in. Instead, it went to the main terminal, and the fans were left standing around.
The Heat are standing around, waiting for Wade to make his decision. And Chris Bosh. And LeBron James. They’ve made their pitches, In the case of Wade, they’ve been making it for years with their performances and actions.
Until those first three dominos fall, the Heat and much of the rest of the league are in a holding pattern. Not a ton of other signings will come down — especially role player signings — until those first dominos fall.
And with both LeBron and Wade hosting youth camps this week through Thursday, it could be a few days before either of them make their choice public.
So we wait. And wait. And wait….
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 0
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48