Jul 5, 2010, 9:37 AM EDT
Dwyane Wade is back in Miami. For four days. And not to sign any contracts.
He flew back into the town begging him to stay as a player not to make any kind of announcement about his future, but to be at the Dwyane Wade All Star Camp, his youth camp (ages 7 to 18).
He also will meet with the Heat owner, Micky Arison, according to our own Ira Winderman (writing for the Sun Sentinel).
Because, like everything Wade does right now, it is overshadowed by his looming free agency decision.
That’s why the Miami Heat had gathered about 50 Heat fans at the airport today, to cheer on Wade exiting the aircraft. They wanted to make Wade feel loved and wanted.
Except they were at the wrong terminal. The crowd was at the Signature Air Terminal, where the airline had said the plane would come in. Instead, it went to the main terminal, and the fans were left standing around.
The Heat are standing around, waiting for Wade to make his decision. And Chris Bosh. And LeBron James. They’ve made their pitches, In the case of Wade, they’ve been making it for years with their performances and actions.
Until those first three dominos fall, the Heat and much of the rest of the league are in a holding pattern. Not a ton of other signings will come down — especially role player signings — until those first dominos fall.
And with both LeBron and Wade hosting youth camps this week through Thursday, it could be a few days before either of them make their choice public.
So we wait. And wait. And wait….
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23