Jul 5, 2010, 9:37 AM EDT
Dwyane Wade is back in Miami. For four days. And not to sign any contracts.
He flew back into the town begging him to stay as a player not to make any kind of announcement about his future, but to be at the Dwyane Wade All Star Camp, his youth camp (ages 7 to 18).
He also will meet with the Heat owner, Micky Arison, according to our own Ira Winderman (writing for the Sun Sentinel).
Because, like everything Wade does right now, it is overshadowed by his looming free agency decision.
That’s why the Miami Heat had gathered about 50 Heat fans at the airport today, to cheer on Wade exiting the aircraft. They wanted to make Wade feel loved and wanted.
Except they were at the wrong terminal. The crowd was at the Signature Air Terminal, where the airline had said the plane would come in. Instead, it went to the main terminal, and the fans were left standing around.
The Heat are standing around, waiting for Wade to make his decision. And Chris Bosh. And LeBron James. They’ve made their pitches, In the case of Wade, they’ve been making it for years with their performances and actions.
Until those first three dominos fall, the Heat and much of the rest of the league are in a holding pattern. Not a ton of other signings will come down — especially role player signings — until those first dominos fall.
And with both LeBron and Wade hosting youth camps this week through Thursday, it could be a few days before either of them make their choice public.
So we wait. And wait. And wait….
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 5
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 8
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4