Jul 5, 2010, 1:59 PM EST
There are a lot of Celtics fans saying “Semih Erden who?”
But Boston made a good move by inking the Turkish center, their 2008 second round pick, to a contract for next year, as Marc Spears of Yahoo has confirmed. He’s a solid 7-footer who can provide some depth with Kendrick Perkins out for the start of the season and Rasheed Wallace being Rasheed Wallace.
This guy is not going to come in and light it up — he’s not dominating the Turkish league, playing for his country’s powerhouse Fenerbahce. But he’s a big body that can grab some boards, take up some space and dunk with authority. Just go out and be a big body. Which will work for Boston.
Plus, he’s getting paid just a shade under $500,000. Which is virtually free in NBA money.
We’ll all get a chance to see him in Summer League as he starts to adapt to the NBA game.
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 0
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 3
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 11
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 44
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 17