Jul 5, 2010, 1:59 PM EST
There are a lot of Celtics fans saying “Semih Erden who?”
But Boston made a good move by inking the Turkish center, their 2008 second round pick, to a contract for next year, as Marc Spears of Yahoo has confirmed. He’s a solid 7-footer who can provide some depth with Kendrick Perkins out for the start of the season and Rasheed Wallace being Rasheed Wallace.
This guy is not going to come in and light it up — he’s not dominating the Turkish league, playing for his country’s powerhouse Fenerbahce. But he’s a big body that can grab some boards, take up some space and dunk with authority. Just go out and be a big body. Which will work for Boston.
Plus, he’s getting paid just a shade under $500,000. Which is virtually free in NBA money.
We’ll all get a chance to see him in Summer League as he starts to adapt to the NBA game.
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 10
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 22
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36