Jul 5, 2010, 1:59 PM EST
There are a lot of Celtics fans saying “Semih Erden who?”
But Boston made a good move by inking the Turkish center, their 2008 second round pick, to a contract for next year, as Marc Spears of Yahoo has confirmed. He’s a solid 7-footer who can provide some depth with Kendrick Perkins out for the start of the season and Rasheed Wallace being Rasheed Wallace.
This guy is not going to come in and light it up — he’s not dominating the Turkish league, playing for his country’s powerhouse Fenerbahce. But he’s a big body that can grab some boards, take up some space and dunk with authority. Just go out and be a big body. Which will work for Boston.
Plus, he’s getting paid just a shade under $500,000. Which is virtually free in NBA money.
We’ll all get a chance to see him in Summer League as he starts to adapt to the NBA game.
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 8
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 12
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 3
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 4
- The three biggest All-Star snubs in each conference 19
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 10
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 9
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 10