Jul 5, 2010, 1:59 PM EDT
There are a lot of Celtics fans saying “Semih Erden who?”
But Boston made a good move by inking the Turkish center, their 2008 second round pick, to a contract for next year, as Marc Spears of Yahoo has confirmed. He’s a solid 7-footer who can provide some depth with Kendrick Perkins out for the start of the season and Rasheed Wallace being Rasheed Wallace.
This guy is not going to come in and light it up — he’s not dominating the Turkish league, playing for his country’s powerhouse Fenerbahce. But he’s a big body that can grab some boards, take up some space and dunk with authority. Just go out and be a big body. Which will work for Boston.
Plus, he’s getting paid just a shade under $500,000. Which is virtually free in NBA money.
We’ll all get a chance to see him in Summer League as he starts to adapt to the NBA game.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 70
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32