Jul 5, 2010, 1:59 PM EDT
There are a lot of Celtics fans saying “Semih Erden who?”
But Boston made a good move by inking the Turkish center, their 2008 second round pick, to a contract for next year, as Marc Spears of Yahoo has confirmed. He’s a solid 7-footer who can provide some depth with Kendrick Perkins out for the start of the season and Rasheed Wallace being Rasheed Wallace.
This guy is not going to come in and light it up — he’s not dominating the Turkish league, playing for his country’s powerhouse Fenerbahce. But he’s a big body that can grab some boards, take up some space and dunk with authority. Just go out and be a big body. Which will work for Boston.
Plus, he’s getting paid just a shade under $500,000. Which is virtually free in NBA money.
We’ll all get a chance to see him in Summer League as he starts to adapt to the NBA game.
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 2
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 75
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 22
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13