Jul 4, 2010, 12:08 PM EDT
Doc Rivers is back. Paul Pierce is back. Ray Allen is in negotiations to come back.
And now there is the “possibility” Rasheed Wallace might come back, too. That according to David Aldridge at NBA.com.
Celtics nation just got a little queasy. There is no love for him in Bean Town. Wallace battled through nagging injuries at age 35 last season and gave Boston 9 points and 22 minutes a game, but did it with just 41 percent shooting, 28 percent from three. His PER dropped to a below-league-average 13.1 (lowest since his rookie season). He was worse in the playoffs (10.4 PER, but his three point shooting did jump to 35 percent).
Boston fans were not feeling Wallace. And at $6.3 million next season, Celtics brass were not feeling him either (plus he is owed $6.7 million the year after that on a player option).
In the wake of Game 7 Doc Rivers said Sheed was thinking about retiring. He basically confirmed that a few days later.
But now he is thinking about coming back. Boston had been working to trade his salary — getting some player back in return for the other team getting salary relief when Wallace did retire. But no team is actually going to trade for Wallace the player at this point, he is the Celtics problem.
He is the one member of the band nobody was expecting to come back on tour. And nobody is really thrilled about it.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (66)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'