Jul 4, 2010, 12:08 PM EDT
Doc Rivers is back. Paul Pierce is back. Ray Allen is in negotiations to come back.
And now there is the “possibility” Rasheed Wallace might come back, too. That according to David Aldridge at NBA.com.
Celtics nation just got a little queasy. There is no love for him in Bean Town. Wallace battled through nagging injuries at age 35 last season and gave Boston 9 points and 22 minutes a game, but did it with just 41 percent shooting, 28 percent from three. His PER dropped to a below-league-average 13.1 (lowest since his rookie season). He was worse in the playoffs (10.4 PER, but his three point shooting did jump to 35 percent).
Boston fans were not feeling Wallace. And at $6.3 million next season, Celtics brass were not feeling him either (plus he is owed $6.7 million the year after that on a player option).
In the wake of Game 7 Doc Rivers said Sheed was thinking about retiring. He basically confirmed that a few days later.
But now he is thinking about coming back. Boston had been working to trade his salary — getting some player back in return for the other team getting salary relief when Wallace did retire. But no team is actually going to trade for Wallace the player at this point, he is the Celtics problem.
He is the one member of the band nobody was expecting to come back on tour. And nobody is really thrilled about it.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31