Jul 4, 2010, 12:08 PM EST
Doc Rivers is back. Paul Pierce is back. Ray Allen is in negotiations to come back.
And now there is the “possibility” Rasheed Wallace might come back, too. That according to David Aldridge at NBA.com.
Celtics nation just got a little queasy. There is no love for him in Bean Town. Wallace battled through nagging injuries at age 35 last season and gave Boston 9 points and 22 minutes a game, but did it with just 41 percent shooting, 28 percent from three. His PER dropped to a below-league-average 13.1 (lowest since his rookie season). He was worse in the playoffs (10.4 PER, but his three point shooting did jump to 35 percent).
Boston fans were not feeling Wallace. And at $6.3 million next season, Celtics brass were not feeling him either (plus he is owed $6.7 million the year after that on a player option).
In the wake of Game 7 Doc Rivers said Sheed was thinking about retiring. He basically confirmed that a few days later.
But now he is thinking about coming back. Boston had been working to trade his salary — getting some player back in return for the other team getting salary relief when Wallace did retire. But no team is actually going to trade for Wallace the player at this point, he is the Celtics problem.
He is the one member of the band nobody was expecting to come back on tour. And nobody is really thrilled about it.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 4
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 3
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 12
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Report: Kenyon Martin, Metta World Peace had “heated” argument (35)