Jul 3, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
So you’re David Kahn. You’ve just signed Darko Milicic for $20 million. You drafted a 23-year-old combo wing the same night you traded for Martell Webster (and drafted another small forward). You have one significant trade chip, Al Jefferson, who’s a phenomenal young player that for some reason you don’t want and who has great trade value, except you’ve buried it because you’ve tried offloading him too hard. So what’s your next move after locking up all your cap space?
Inviting David Lee for a meeting, of course!
The Minnesota Star-Tribune reports that Mark Bartlestein, Lee’s agent confirmed that Lee is still meeting with the Timberwolves today despite the fact that the Wolves have less than $7 million in cap space after their offseason moves thus far. So why is Lee headed up north?
The Wolves could conceivably trade Al Jefferson and cap space to New York in a sign-and-trade for Lee.
That’s right. David Kahn could be looking at trading a versatile offensive post player whose defense he questions for a talented, high-function power-forward whose defense is questioned by everyone else.
Lee’s rebounding numbers are terrific,and he’s certainly worth a hefty contract, much bigger than the one-year deal the Knicks tossed at him last year. But Minnesota makes no sense. For Lee, or the Wolves. And certainly not for Kevin Love, who has to wonder what in Kevin McHale’s name he’s got to do in order to garner significant support from the Wolves.
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 6
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 8
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 5
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 31