Jul 3, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
So you’re David Kahn. You’ve just signed Darko Milicic for $20 million. You drafted a 23-year-old combo wing the same night you traded for Martell Webster (and drafted another small forward). You have one significant trade chip, Al Jefferson, who’s a phenomenal young player that for some reason you don’t want and who has great trade value, except you’ve buried it because you’ve tried offloading him too hard. So what’s your next move after locking up all your cap space?
Inviting David Lee for a meeting, of course!
The Minnesota Star-Tribune reports that Mark Bartlestein, Lee’s agent confirmed that Lee is still meeting with the Timberwolves today despite the fact that the Wolves have less than $7 million in cap space after their offseason moves thus far. So why is Lee headed up north?
The Wolves could conceivably trade Al Jefferson and cap space to New York in a sign-and-trade for Lee.
That’s right. David Kahn could be looking at trading a versatile offensive post player whose defense he questions for a talented, high-function power-forward whose defense is questioned by everyone else.
Lee’s rebounding numbers are terrific,and he’s certainly worth a hefty contract, much bigger than the one-year deal the Knicks tossed at him last year. But Minnesota makes no sense. For Lee, or the Wolves. And certainly not for Kevin Love, who has to wonder what in Kevin McHale’s name he’s got to do in order to garner significant support from the Wolves.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 9
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 23
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 53
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (53)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)