Jul 3, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
The Cavaliers understood the seriousness of their meeting with the greatest player in franchise history today. Instead of the proposed 30 minute meeting, they stayed for nearly 90 minutes. Coach Byron Scott talked about how he planned to use LeBron James. They reminded James of all the good times he’s had in Ohio, of how it’s his home, how this is the place he’s meant to be. I’m sure it was very moving.
Oh, yeah, and then they showed him a freaking cartoon in the style of “Family Guy” featuring him, his friends, his teammates, and a bunch of inside jokes from the Cavs.
Apparently the Cavs’ main feature was that they “know him best” according to Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer.
Maybe that will work. After all, the Cavs do know him best. It just seems like an odd pitch considering the diverse business and basketball offers being tossed around. It’s not the weirdest pitch made. The Knicks had James Gandolfini from ‘The Sopranos’ in a skit in the role of Tony Soprano.
If you were wondering at what point this thing became a caricature of itself, today wasn’t it, but it may be the apex of ridiculousness.
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 0
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 6
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 5
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 5
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 2
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm