Jul 3, 2010, 8:54 AM EDT
The New York Knicks pitched a billion dollars.
The Miami Heat pitched championship rings and the value of sacrifice.
The New Jersey Nets pitched a media empire.
The Los Angeles Clippers pitched… (giggle)… Baron Davis and Chris Kaman.
So what are the Cleveland Cavaliers, the home team, the favorites in many’s eyes to retain the service of LeBron James, going to pitch the King?
Yucks and laughs, my friends Yucks and laughs.
Brian Windhorst (unsurprisingly) is all over the case, outlining how the meeting will likely go. The Cavs are planning to rely on their long-term knowledge of LeBron, appeal to his sense of humor and playfulness.
Kind of risky, but a novel approach.
The Cavs will also pitch him with new head coach Byron Scott on how he plans on using him. This is another dangerous gamble, as Scott likely will now cow tow at James’ feet like other coaches have, and may end up coming off too brusque. Much like he has come off to nearly every team he’s coached.
Finally, the Cavs will appeal to him on a roster basis due to an interesting development over the last 24 hours. Windhorst writes that the Cavs have received interest that the Raptors like the pieces Cleveland has for a sign and trade. (This makes sense, since they’re one of the few Bosh suitors who haven’t totally cleared their roster to make cap space.)
The Cavs will tell LeBron that if he re-signs, he can then help them to convince Bosh to take the max contract from the Raptors in a sign and trade, which would get him the extra year on his contract. It means the most money for Bosh, and a chance to play with LeBron. It’s Cleveland’s best shot to get back into the race, which has largely passed them by over the first two days of free agency.
The Cavs are banking on some long shots going into this morning’s meeting. But they’re going to need to. After all, their franchise is at stake.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49