Jul 2, 2010, 8:48 PM EDT
Tonight, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh were meeting together with the Chicago Bulls in the office of Henry Thomas, Wade’s agent.
Tomorrow, the Bulls front office hops a plane and fly to beautiful downtown Akron, to make their pitch to LeBron James. They get the last word — they go Saturday afternoon after Cleveland.
The Bulls are making their big play now. The Nets have tried, the Heat gave it a real effort. But the Bulls have the combination of cap space to really make a run at it. If they pull it off it will be the play of the decade — as in a decade long title run.
A run at getting all three? That’s a real long shot. The Bulls had enough cap space to get two max-salary players. Could they use that on LeBron and Wade then do a sign-and-trade to bring Bosh in from Toronto for Luol Deng and other pieces? Maybe. But that creates the awkward situation of Bosh making more money than both Wade and LeBron.
Plus, does a lineup of Derrick Rose at the point, Wade at the two and LeBron at the three really work? Oh, they’d be good, but title good? That is three guys who are best with the ball in their hands.
Now, Bosh and Rose and either of the other two (along with Noah on the front line)? That becomes the favorites in the East. A dangerous combo.
Who knows if and how it comes together. But the Bulls are going big. And it may be the play of the decade if it works.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 1
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18