Jul 2, 2010, 6:49 PM EST
The Lakers were looking for a new point guard, one who could knock down the three, play a little defense, and just be smart.
They have found their man in Steve Blake.
John Canzano of the Oregonian was first in reporting that Steve Blake had agreed a four-year deal with the Lakers (any deal cannot be signed until July 8). Other reports have confirmed it as four years at $4 million a year. Blake was one of the first people the Lakers reached out to this free agent period.
The Lakers three point guard from the last two seasons — Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar and Shannon Brown — all became free agents this summer. The Lakers were looking to bring in someone new.
Blake — who played his games last year at Staples for the Los Angeles Clippers — is a good fit as a triangle point guard. He shot 43 percent from three last year and isn’t a point guard who needs to have the ball in his hands. In fact, you don’t want it in his hands a lot as he can turn the ball over a lot. But Blake is a system guy who tends to make good decisions with the ball. He’s also not a great defender, but is better than Fisher at this point.
The Lakers and Fisher are far apart on a deal right now, and if Blake is in the fold the Lakers are less likely to up their offer. He has reportedly started talking to the Heat and Cavaliers.
- Brook Lopez suffers broken foot, out for the season 2
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 10
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 6
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 16
- Kendrick Perkins tells Joakim Noah to “get your a– up out’ of Thunder locker room 36
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (70)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)