Steve Blake agrees to four-year deal with the Lakers

Jul 2, 2010, 6:49 PM EDT

sblake.jpgThe Lakers were looking for a new point guard, one who could knock down the three, play a little defense, and just be smart.

They have found their man in Steve Blake.

John Canzano of the Oregonian was first in reporting that Steve Blake had agreed a four-year deal with the Lakers (any deal cannot be signed until July 8). Other reports have confirmed it as four years at $4 million a year. Blake was one of the first people the Lakers reached out to this free agent period.

The Lakers three point guard from the last two seasons — Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar and Shannon Brown — all became free agents this summer. The Lakers were looking to bring in someone new.

Blake — who played his games last year at Staples for the Los Angeles Clippers — is a good fit as a triangle point guard. He shot 43 percent from three last year and isn’t a point guard who needs to have the ball in his hands. In fact, you don’t want it in his hands a lot as he can turn the ball over a lot. But Blake is a system guy who tends to make good decisions with the ball. He’s also not a great defender, but is better than Fisher at this point.

The Lakers and Fisher are far apart on a deal right now, and if Blake is in the fold the Lakers are less likely to up their offer. He has reportedly started talking to the Heat and Cavaliers.

1. E - Jul 4, 2010 at 1:03 AM

I love the fact that my comments have drawn so much attention. To NRESQ don’t you be a fool either. Mitch has made some very dumb decision over the years, Q. Brown for one, Luke Walton…then go back over the years to look at the Lakers past rosters. Remember just a few years ago when Kobe was going to leave because Mitch could not pull his head out of his ass to improve the team. We had a chance to C. Bullips and I could on and on. The Lakers were lucky this year because all of the teams that would have given us the most trouble were eliminated SA, Portland, Denver… Match ups which were all harder than the road we went down. We may have won those to, but we will never know. I like the core, but our bench lacks a lot and no matter what NRESQ and James Garay have to offer really is not very much… you guys sound like my 3 year old and probably just out of diapers yourself… what early 20’s …just kids talking again because it’s free, it’s a good thing it does not cost anything. Here is something I did find for my Lakers brothers to read which I put below for you to read. Now something like this makes sense to me and it seems it makes sense to some other basketball people who a little about Lux Tax and cap space…other than your non basketball self. You guys are truly funny. Just read below.
    Its NOT news… but a hoopshype artile mentioned that the Lakers may ask to work out a sign and trade with the Clippers after the 8th, for Blake.
    IF THey could do that, it would preserve the MLE for other players… AND the only guys possible to move would be Luke and Sasha (Just can’t see LA trading Odom,Artest or other CORE guys)…
    BOTH Sasha AND Luke make MORE then the $4 Million that Blake has agreed to. THe Clips are under the cap so LA “COULD” send Sasha and his $5.3 Million to Clippers for Blake and his $4 Million.
    It would save TWICE that ammount because of the luxury tax.
    Again, not news at all… BUT the Clips have PLENTY of cap room, and if they miss on the free agent circus, perhaps Sasha could be a swap???
    Then the Lakers can still get Mike Miller, AND Save a few extra dollars to help re-sign Fisher.

2. E - Jul 4, 2010 at 1:16 AM

Let me say this. I mean no disrespect to anyone in this debate. My opinion are just my opinions and I respect everyone else’s opinions as well. I just want the best for the Lakers and for them to make good sound decisions. I’m not Mitch and maybe there is more to what the Lakers are doing. We will see in the few days and weeks. I love the conversation so bring it on guys…

3. NRESQ - Jul 4, 2010 at 2:23 AM

Dude, you are just a complete dumbass. What team is going to take Laker castoffs so the Lakers can improve their team? HELLO? NBA teams don’t want to trade with the 2 time champions to help them. You are just living in a fantasy world. Its a business, with money being the bottom line. Blake represents good value at $4M to run the triangle for our stars. Fisher can be a part of it, but not for more than $2M per year (which is $4M to Buss with the luxury tax). The Buss family just isn’t going to pay any more luxury tax than they have to, GET IT? So we go with our core group plus adding situational players. Blake is a perfect addition because he SUPPORTS our core group, plus adds the 3 ball at a 40% rate. THAT’S THE REALITY. The rest is just whining.

4. James Garay - Jul 4, 2010 at 2:51 AM

Say E
    Your comments have drew attention like a fly to S___.
    Like your style DNunn.I do remember Kobe saying that D-Fish will not
    be going anywhere. I also remember Magic saying that he would put up some money to keep the core alive. Well Kobe and Magic. Put up or shut up. It’s time for Odom and Sasha to make a statement.
    As for E, I am 59 years old going on 60 August 10th. I had the great privilege and honor of seeing the “Show Time” team with Magic and Kareem. By the way young fella, I attended the same high school as Lew Alcindor. You do remember the name. Power Memorial Academy in New York City (Manhattan to be exact).Also, in case you didn’t know, he is the highest scoring player in the history of the NBA. I have been following the Laker for a long time so this is not a case of what you call “Free Time”. Sounds like you have lots to learn. Sounds like you need to change your diaper.
    Granted Mitch made mistake but his record is still better then Dallas, Denver, etc. I am glad that the Lakers are not reading your want a be GM application.BTW, if you think the Clippers are going to
    help the Lakers win another championship, then you are truly crazy.
    From the foul that may know more then the dummy.
    James G

5. James Garay - Jul 4, 2010 at 3:16 AM

NRESQ, I like your style. I also like your distinction between fact and whining. That mean you E. Keep in mind the the Lakers are going to have 2 targets on their backs next year and every team is going to try and improve and the Clippers will be one of those teams E. As a true Laker fan, I do try to distinguish between fact and fiction, or
    or non-fiction. reading NRESQ comments should fall under fact.
    Reading E comments should fall under fiction or fairy tales.
    NRESQ you do know the facts. I’m taking notes I hope E is also taking notes. BTW E, I also love conversation. No disrespect during these debates. I also love the Lakers and cry evertime I see them winning
    the championship. Laker fan for life. Go Lakers!
    James G

6. E - Jul 4, 2010 at 3:28 AM

Both of you guys are funny…James you are telling me nothing I don’t already I know. I’m around the same age as you, but not your age yet… Wishing you many more years! Someone once told me that you can’t argue with fools and I see once again they were right.

7. James Garay - Jul 4, 2010 at 3:41 AM

E
    It takes a wise man to know what he does not know…
    You must be a wise man.

8. ricktheruler - Jul 4, 2010 at 7:19 AM

If we didn’t have Kwame Brown who was traded for Pau Gasol, we wouldn’t be back 2 back NBA Champions. Did you forget that E ?

9. Zenman - Jul 4, 2010 at 7:44 AM

I hate the stupid logic that say because Sasha and Walton are overpaid it somehow the justifies paying another player more than you have to. All NBA teams have overpaid talent due to a players lack of development or injuries. For fans to say “let’s dump this overpaid guy” or since we have this overpaid guy let’s overpay this guy” is lame. Maybe they can trade Sasha (one year at five million) but I doubt it. Nobody wants to pay Walton 16 million for three years, he’s so injured he can barely play at all. The Lakers
    s best hope is that his back is so bad he has to retire. Otherwise, the Laker’s have to live with it.
    As for Fisher his late game and playoff heroics need to be put in persepective. He’s clarly the weakest link during the regular season and they had to move Kobe around to make up for Fisher’s slowness on defense. Lakers need to improve at his position. If they improve at that postion maybe they don’t need his late game heroics becasue they can win games early and not letting it go down to the last shot. They should worry about their regular season record as well. They won the title the last two years with the home court and lost it in 2008 without it. They would not have had home court last year against the Cavs or Magic. Without changing at the point they will not be likely to have it next year.
    Getting Blake is reasonable for the money and has to be an improvement overall over Fisher’s play.

10. MakeTheBestMove - Jul 4, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Yes, it may seem illogical for teams to want certain players, like Sasha, from the Lakers. Sasha, however, has a contract that expires in one year. Expiring contracts are a commidity. And it’s possible, although unlikely, that Sasha will prosper with another team. There are some other teams out there that have point guards, or close enough point guards, with long term contracts, that they want to trade. The Clippers doing a sign and trade, Blake for Sasha and a first round pick, is reasonable. And there are other teams wanting to make trades. I believe Mitch is going to make some more moves.

11. Stephen - Jul 4, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I throw my vote for Blake. He is not an all-star, but his consistency will be a big improvement for the offense. His scoring average will probably go up playing with Kobe. Especially, if he keeps that 43% 3pt shot. That said we all want a difference maker, and here is the trade that is out there but not talked about. LO plus Sasha(to match salaries) for Darren Collison and Okafor. Anyone who as watched Collison can see this guy is ready to move up to the next level. NO is trying to move him and his low salary plus a deadweight salary of Okafor. All which is about equal to LO and Sasha, and Sasha has the advantage of expiring. Collison is a blur, young and hidden behind CP3 now that they decided to keep him. Collison will not stayed underprice too much longer. And Okafor is probably an upgrade from LO because he is a banger that is more consistant.

12. James Garay - Jul 4, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Great point Zenman about Kobe having to pick-up after D-Fish in defense and help avoid last minute heroics. Good move to pick-up Blake to help fill the void. A review of comments made by Laker fan approving the addition of Blake is about 90%.That mean you are in the minority E. Get with it. It was was very important for the Lakers to secure the home court advantage. Thanks to the Celtics for making it happen. Lakers will need to focus on that fact if they have any chance to 3-peat.Stephen’s scenario is very intriguing given the
    fact Collison does have roots here in LA via UCLA. As for Okafor,
    if LO does not show up next year, then I would say yes to that trade
    or any other that looks to improve that position.
    James G
    Peace out

13. derby13 - Jul 4, 2010 at 1:25 PM

hey, i agree with u i hope that the lakers sign d.fish back he’s the reason kobe has 5 rings

14. James Garay - Jul 4, 2010 at 2:54 PM

I ask that all Lakers fans cast their vote for or against Steve
    Blake being signed by the Lakers
    Yes or no

15. NRESQ - Jul 4, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Hey E, here’s a guy who knows of what he speaks. You, on the other hand, are a friggin’ moron. When you get some facts, we’ll listen. Until then, your BS don’t fly.

16. James Garay - Jul 4, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Got your back NRESQ…

17. luffy - Jul 4, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Wishful thinking but I’ll give my vote to Kirk Hinrich, hehe. He’s the real perfect guy for the triangle. Just wishful thinking but if there’s no choice, ok fine, let’s just see what friggin James Blake could do. I don’t agree w/this decision though…

18. James G - Jul 4, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Hinrich would also be my first choice but he was in the high rent district. Steve Blake will be a good option given what the Lakers are getting, $16mil/4 year contract. I am very excited about what Blake
    will do in the triangle offense and see how he will distroy the zone dedense. DFish is next.

19. Stajack - Jul 5, 2010 at 4:41 AM

To Kurt Helin: “He can turn the ball over a lot”. What are you talking about? Blake’s assist to turnover ratio last year was better than Fisher’s. Steve’s was 3 to 1. Derek’s was 2.5 to 1.

20. JIBBYDOWA - Jul 5, 2010 at 10:13 AM

How many years did it take for kobe to get his first ring? HOW ABOUT MAGIC JOHNSON? HE, (KOBE) NEEDED PHIL, SHAQ, FOX, FISHER, HORRY,AC GREEN, HORACE GRANT, SHAW, AND DEFINATELY RON HARPER, OR NO RINGS. THERE IS NO “I” IN THE WORD “TEAM”….WITH GOOD HEALTH HE, (LEBRON) WILL GET HIS.

21. KRam - Jul 5, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Majic won a championship his rookie year. He had Kareem Abdul-Jabbar on his team, who was MVP that year. He also had Jamaal Wilkes, Norm Nixon, Michael Cooper, Spencer Haywood, and some other good players on that team. On other teams Majic was joined by Bob McAdoo, James Worthy, Byron Scott, Swen Nater, Maurice Lucas, and Mychal Thompson, just to name a few. After 1980-1981 Majic had Pat Riley for his coach for nine years. At least four Hall Of Famers on those teams.

22. Richie - Jul 5, 2010 at 4:12 PM

This was a good pickup by the lakers. I think the lakers will sign fisher back because we need him in clutch moments and fisher will start but Blake could come off the bench and put up better bench points then farmar. With Shannon brown he is a high flyer and a good shooter so the lakers should offer him a deal they can afford and if he doesent like ohh well he doesent deserve that much money

23. chaban - Jul 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM

The reason we have Walton is because he’s SIGNED to a contract despite the fact that his back injury could end his career. I don’t know how the NBA works if a player retires because of injury and how the money aspect of it works – do we get a portion of his contract back to use on another player w/o it counting against the cap?
    Farmar’s delusional in thinking that he’ll get starting minutes and I understand that Brown is at the high point of his worth, like Ariza last year, and wants to get as much as he can now and not wait until Fish retires.
    It would be nice if we didn’t have Sasha or Luke’s contracts at this point, but we do and even w/o them we’re still in the hole regarding the tax. That’s what a lot of people on this board don’t understand – we don’t have the money w/o each dollar going towards the luxury tax. The cap right now is around 59 million and we’re at around 83 million w/o the luxury tax. How much do you want Buss to spend? We can’t get everybody
    Some like Blake and some want Fish to come back (as do I) but I don’t know if Fish will let his pride accept the cut when he’s really just a bench player now w/spurts of great play and keeping Kobe in check. He’s worth it for just that. IF you didn’t realize it before, Kobe was a head case when Fish wasn’t here.
    I’ll trust whatever Kupchak, Buss, and PJ decide to do. They know more about these players than anybody and you have to trust that. Remember the Ariza/Artest debate? Who won?

24. JTW - Jul 5, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Lakers got a good player in Blake for their money.
    Earlier comment about good defenders not being as good as good offensive players is true.Tenacity of some defensive players help but the most points scored always win. A good mixture is nice. Good players that score usually are decent defenders under many circumstances because they have good basketball savvy and play with their heads as well as their offensive skills. The Lakers are a good example plus they have a great coaching staff.
    Blake if healthy will help. Walton has good basketball savvy but not the speed and defensive skills and is injury prone. Bynum and LO are keys to a near unbeatable team. With all the other players, the Lakers won it all! What if Bynum was not injury prone and LO did not have whatever his problems are and Artest improved his offensive skills and knowledge of the “triangle”?

25. NRESQ - Jul 5, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Who gives a sh*t how long it took Kobe, comparing players from different eras, etc., etc., blah, blah?????? Bottom line, Kobe’s got 5, Magic 5, and Kobe’s in line to get 1, maybe 2 more. The important thing is to keep racking up banners until we pass Boston for good!

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches