Steve Blake agrees to four-year deal with the Lakers

Jul 2, 2010, 6:49 PM EDT

sblake.jpgThe Lakers were looking for a new point guard, one who could knock down the three, play a little defense, and just be smart.

They have found their man in Steve Blake.

John Canzano of the Oregonian was first in reporting that Steve Blake had agreed a four-year deal with the Lakers (any deal cannot be signed until July 8). Other reports have confirmed it as four years at $4 million a year. Blake was one of the first people the Lakers reached out to this free agent period.

The Lakers three point guard from the last two seasons — Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar and Shannon Brown — all became free agents this summer. The Lakers were looking to bring in someone new.

Blake — who played his games last year at Staples for the Los Angeles Clippers — is a good fit as a triangle point guard. He shot 43 percent from three last year and isn’t a point guard who needs to have the ball in his hands. In fact, you don’t want it in his hands a lot as he can turn the ball over a lot. But Blake is a system guy who tends to make good decisions with the ball. He’s also not a great defender, but is better than Fisher at this point.

The Lakers and Fisher are far apart on a deal right now, and if Blake is in the fold the Lakers are less likely to up their offer. He has reportedly started talking to the Heat and Cavaliers.

1. NRESQ - Jul 3, 2010 at 2:54 AM

I agree Odum’s a head case, but he got a TON of talent. A lot of people (dumb asses) forget that Odum was hurt virtually the entire season but hung in there and played. That said, he don’t step up this season we need to see what we can get for him. Better to dump him too soon than too late!

2. nitti770 - Jul 3, 2010 at 4:36 AM

Watched Blakey from his days in MD. Smart savvy player. He’s got an edge attitude and doesn’t back down. Good for Lakers to have that. It isn’t an under-your-skin Vujacic ‘tude or Farmar arrogant ‘tude, but a ‘if you push me, i’ll push back harder.’ ‘tude before youtube was big, watchin’ him not back down in ACC games, against the likes of Dukies and NC. Skilled offensive role-player and decent defensively. Being 6’3 helps,(can’t teach height) Can spot up for the 3 in the corner, create his own shot, knows how to space the floor, it shouldn’t be overlooked, but he has excellent ability to lob the ball into the post for Gasol or alley-oops to Bynum. This is a very important part of the game and Lakers fans will see how effective he’ll be for us. he’ll be good at pick/rolls with Pau as well. Good pick-up by Lakers. too bad, but that means no Mike Miller… that cat has a sweet offensive game, would have helped. hope fisher and brown resign…

3. tejano2k - Jul 3, 2010 at 7:22 AM

I don’t care how many shots Kobe takes or when he takes them. Obviously, Kobe’s stats have helped the Lakers a lot more than LeBron’s REGULAR season stats helped the Cavs. Plus, Kobe’s teams have 5 rings…LeBron’s have how many? Kobe before LeBron any day. I’ll go with whatever decisions the Lakers make as far as personnel goes. So far, they’ve been right a lot more than they’ve been wrong. However, I’d hate to see D-fish go. He’s a real man’s man on and off the court. Go Lakers!

4. nameisstan - Jul 3, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Did you forget Chris Wilcox?

5. Omnius - Jul 3, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Who the heck is Steve Blake? Not saying much coming from the Clippers. I like that he’s good at 3-point shooting but turning the ball over is a problem Farmar had too often too. We need to keep Fisher as a backup so he can join Odom coming off the bench for better bench play and scoring. I hope Mitch Kupcake keeps Fisher as he plays well with Kobe and comes through in the playoffs clutch. We need to ditch Farmar as he has proven too unreliable and Shannon Brown still needs to sharpen his game with more playing time and more offseason improvement. A shame that the author didn’t bother to include Blake’s stats from last year so we could have a better idea of how productive he is or isn’t.

6. Mark Alejandro - Jul 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM

@berni swanson, they are not going to keep farmar. jordan farmar has already agreed that he wants a starting gig somewhere else

7. faris - Jul 3, 2010 at 12:45 PM

FISH-KOBE-ARTEST-PAU-(Healthy)DREW
    BLAKE-SHANNON-SASHA-MILLER-ODOM
    I can smell the three-peat already

8. James Garay - Jul 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Who the hell is berni swanson? Please forward all your comments to thw WNBA.
    Bravo CyberCosmix on keeping Fisher and addressing the need for a true point guard and giving Mitch Kupchack credit for doing a good job. I hope this will help get rid of wanting Jerry West back to replace him.
    Bravo to NRESQ regarding Odom.Last chance to show up on 3-peat.
    Better to it next year.
    Good bye Farmar! Hope you get that playing time you wanted at a cost
    of playing with a team that will not see the day of light. This goes for you Shannon Brown. Remember who gave you the opportunity to win 2 rings. Look at Ariza as an example. TOP PRIORITY IS TO RESIGN FISHER.
    THE LAKERS HAVE APPROX. $1.8 MIL TO WORK WITH AFTER BLAKE. MITCH
    SHOULD CONTINUE TO LOOK FOR A PLAYER LIKE ARTEST THAY WILL SIGN-UP
    FOR THAT RING.
    JAMES G
    TRABUCO CANYON

9. E - Jul 3, 2010 at 2:57 PM

I think signing Steve Blake is the worst move ever by the Lakers. First he can’t play then you give him a four year contract that takes most of the Lakers MLE. Now who can we sign? We had a chance to get Miller then you let him walk, you treat DFish like a stepchild. Brown and Farmar may not be the best points, but 10 times better than Blake. We had a chance to do something very special in the free agency, but Mitch wants to play hardball, oh… sign with us or walk, Mitch is a fooll. What about Marrow, Allen and Raja Bell T-Mac to name a few. I cant’ believe the Lakes management allowed this to happen. I have loved the Lakers from a child in the early 60’s, but now with Blake I would almost pull for Boston who I hate. Blake is the same person as Walton, but a guard. You might as well drive down the street and start throwing your money out the window. You’re stuck with him for four year and won’t be able to get rid of him, I hate this move… I hope on the 7th or 8th
    The Lakers change their mind I really do… Magic / Phil do not let this happen !

10. rishanda - Jul 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM

love d fish please don’t let him go laker for life

11. CyberCosmiX - Jul 3, 2010 at 4:07 PM

James G, thanks for the props, you know your stuff. People want to write Fisher off, like they have for years, as if he were, say, Jordan Farmar. Jordan was expendable, he possibly isn’t even in the top-5 of UCLA point guards in the NBA!!! That’s crazy. Blake does all that Farmar did, and much better. Plus, Blake doesn’t heave up 3-pt shots on a whim, and won’t freeze Kobe out as Farmar did on many a play.
    I like Shannon Brown, but let’s face it, he’s not exactly Michael Cooper coming off the bench for the Lakers. Shannon’s jumper was missing most of the time, and he still looks stymied at times overthinking the triangle. I love his highlights, his dunks, putbacks and blocks make for awesome youtube highlight vids, but he really added little else aside from those. He had like 2, maybe 3 good games throughout the playoffs? Frankly, if the Lakers could add, say, a defensive player like Tony Allen instead of Shannon, sorry bud but you’ll have to go. Opting out kind of sealed your own fate.
    I’m still psyched about Blake, I told my sons after the trade from Portland that the Clipps got him that the Lakers should go after him. He is PRECISELY the best-fit for the triangle, and is an excellent, tough-minded starter that doesn’t back down an inch. Just a great fit all-round!

12. NotTheBestMove - Jul 3, 2010 at 4:22 PM

If you look at Blake’s stats you can see he is not much of an improvement from what the Lakers were starting at point guard last year. So maybe he can give you a slightly improved 24 minutes a game. OK for a back up. Now who is going to back Blake up. How are you going to sign any other point guards or even two guards when you spent most of the cap exemption on Blake. You think you can sign somebody worth something for 1.5 or even two, doubtful. Better to have spent entire max exemption on Ridnour or Miller. The Lakers have three guards at the moment, Kobe, Sasha, and Blake. Sasha never developed, seems to be going backwards. What players take the other guard spots on the roster. Can you sign Raja Bell for two mill or less. Will Derek come back for 3 mill or less. Might be able to trade Sasha and his expiring contract plus a first round pick to the Raptors for Jarrett Jack or Marcus Banks, maybe a similar trade from another team. Laker’s guard position needs much improvement and one average point guard is not enough help. If Blake is your second best guard your in trouble.

13. E - Jul 3, 2010 at 5:06 PM

I agree with from NottheBestMoveYou people out there that support Blake are more than CRAZY. If ever you have played basketball at any other place other than a park or recreation league then you would know that Blake can’t play. First of all we are going backwards at the point if you consider Blake your starting point. Second of all you have now lost any chance of getting someone who could really help the Lakers by spending just about all of our MLE. Mitch is a fool and I can’t believe the Lakers Management let this kind of thing happen. Also, if you thank that Blake is better than Miller then I know you have never played basketball at the college or pro level or any kind of other sports; my comments are directed at CyberCosmiX and James Garay which both seem to be idiots who know nothing about basketball and the only reason their talking now is because it’s free… or should I say the class clowns who want attention ! We are FU_KED with no money left to get anyone of any real value and won’t be able to re-sign back our own players. The one thing I will agree on is letting Farmar go. Answer this… why are we paying Walton close to 5Ma year to sit on the bench with no talent? Blake is no better so I guess the Lakers Iike giving, no not giving, but throwing money away… WOW… what FOOLS !

14. E - Jul 3, 2010 at 5:08 PM

15. CyberCosmiX - Jul 3, 2010 at 5:45 PM

E, perhaps you’ve played some rec games, I guess you are now an ‘expert’ – right? For what it’s worth, we used to play some pretty competitive games in Inglewood years back, around the showtime days, I’d take the level of competition in some of those games against Rucker Park, AND-1 Tour or college ball. What the hell does that make me? It sure as hell doesn’t mean I’m an expert.
    Dude, you may not have actually WATCHED Steve Blake over the years, to THOUGHT about what the Lakers NEED, and what he BRINGS. Whatever. Thing is, Blake is a tough-nosed, pass-first PG, one that is gritty and tenacious in attitude, and can step up and hit a jumper when needed. He can also drive-and-dish, and seems to be perfectly suited and even made to play within the triangle offense.
    Mike Miller isn’t a PG. He isn’t a guard for that matter. Yes, he would have been a nice addition, but dude has been injury prone for years – and let me ask you this: If you can get Mike Miller for 5-yrs, $30-mill, as rumored, or Tracy McGrady for two years and something near the veterans minimum – WHICH PLAYER WOULD YOU CHOOSE? I just don’t believe in paying a player for a 5-yr contract that has been injury prone throughout his career (see: Luke Walton).
    So, you would have tried to bring in 35-yr old Fisher, and then what? PG is OBVIOUSLY the Lakers biggest hole! Farmar is gone, Shannon Brown too – what the hell would you have done at the point guard position? Hand it over to Sasha Vujacic? C’mon now!!!
    I’m sure EVERYONE would have loved to see an Odom for Chris Paul trade, well that HASN’T HAPPENED so what are the Lakers going to do? Target a small forward with their MLE, an injury prone one at that, and leave themselves without a PG? Mitch knows what he’s doing, and he just got the BEST FITTING PG OUT THERE!
    Dude, go back to your rec-games E. You might want to wear some head protection though, those bumps on your head have made you damned stupid…

16. E - Jul 3, 2010 at 6:14 PM

CyberCosmiX,
    I’m glad you wrote back. Inglewood…wow I grew up that that area, Inglewood, Morningside, Roger Park, what use to be Sportsman Park, Washington High… so you’re telling me nothing about where you may have come from. Having said that I did play college ball and in pro summer leagues with actual pros at UCLA, not that I have to prove anything to you. Oh yeah, when they had the first 3on3 hoop it up in Santa Monica I won that with my people, again, not that I have anything to prove to you. Now back to the Lakers, I would take either T-Mac or Miller over Blake any day, but now that our MLE is pretty much gone I guess that won’t happen dude. I also watched Blake in collage at MD, he could not play then either. So let’s start here, do you think the Lakers can win again with what they have now with now real outside scoring? Or I guess you think Blake is our new weapon, how do you say it “Dude” you are crazy. Let’s see where we go from here with the mighty Steve Blake “THE GREAT WHITE HOPE” get real… I hope the Lakers management is not as big of fools as they seem and maybe by the 7th someone will come to their senses. I sure the hell hope so, or maybe there is something out there Mitch is waiting to surprise us all with other than Blake. Wong we’re done !

17. CyberCosmiX - Jul 3, 2010 at 8:32 PM

First of all, I could care less if Steve Blake were black, white, brown, green or translucent – his GAME fit’s the Lakers needs.
    E, if you watched Blake in college, did you see him play at Portland? He used to light up the Lakers. The Blazers were fools to bring in the overrated Andre Miller when they had Steve Blake, who was a great complimentary player at Brandon Roy’s side, right under their noses.
    In fact, people can’t understand why Portland fired Kevin Pritchard, well the fact that he targeted two overrated players in free-agency last offseason in Hedo Turkoglu and Andre Miller (and ended up with the ill-fitting Miller) and even missed out on C.J. Miles – only to trade away a hard-nosed player like Blake to bring in rent-a-vet Marcus Camby – it’s easy to see why they got rid of Pritchard as GM.
    Blake has never been given a proper chance, he’s got a nice game, I don’t understand just WHAT it is about Blake’s game that you don’t like? Before signing Blake, the Lakers had NO point guards on the roster! Farmar is gone, Brown is too and Fisher hasn’t hinted at taking less than what he’s asking (or a single year). So, you think the Lakers should have signed Mike Miller as a backup SF instead of Steve Blake? With no guarantees that they’ll have ANY of their point guards back?
    Much love to Inglewood and the South Bay though, I moved 5 years ago to the high desert and miss that area a bunch. Nothing personal, we’re just debating the Lakers and sometimes when we love something a lot we all get passionate about it. That’s what seperates Laker fans from fans of other teams, we actually CARE about our teams, I know hoops is my favorite sport and sounds like yours too!

18. E - Jul 3, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Everything you said here I agree with. I agree with you abut overrated Andre Miller. When Blake played us he did have some pretty good games, I actually said who is this guy he’s not the Steve Blake I know. I just think the Lakers may have moved too fast without exploring other options before giving away most of our MLE. I know we need a guard, but I think a Miller or T-Mac or anyone else along those lines would have made a bigger impact. Even if the Lakers didn’t get one of the somewhat cheap guards on the market now I feel almost anyone that could handle the would have worked out better and cheaper. Now what do we do with most of our money gone to help the team? I am a long time Laker fan and it matter to me what the organization does. I actually enjoy chatting with you because it allowed me to get my frustration out with what the Lakers may have done. I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens next… Good talking to you and go Lakers

19. nresq - Jul 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Dude, you are such a dumb ass its embarrassing! Ever hear of the salary cap? Luxury tax? Buss was not going to cut loose with the kind of money it was going to take to get Miller. Maybe you got a couple of million laying around? Give it to Buss. Otherwise, GET OVER IT! When Blake has the triangle running smoothly, you’ll still be whining for D-Fish. Reality check (for you AND him): Fish wants to be a Laker he’ll sign for 1 year around 2Mil. THAT’S IT. Otherwise, he’s going down the same road he went last time–NOWHERE! And he knows it!

20. NRESQ - Jul 3, 2010 at 9:29 PM

You know, E, I just can’t figure out how the Lakers just got done winning back to back titles without consulting you. Somehow, they just seem to muddle through. Whatever f’ing league YOU play in, don’t make you an NBA GM. The realities are what they are. Somehow, Kupchak, who you diss, has built a team that will compete for championships for years without your help. What the F have you ever done but blather on with your head up your ass?

21. James Katt - Jul 3, 2010 at 9:54 PM

If the Lakers can give Blake $4 Million a year, I cannot see how they can be so cheap and shortsighted to not give Fisher at least $4 Million a year as well. They can give Fisher $8 Million over two years. In fact, they can give Fisher more than that. He is worth more than Blake to the Lakers. It is only fair – Mitch.

22. LA fan - Jul 3, 2010 at 10:26 PM

The lakers need to get rid of Walton, for the past 2 years he has not done anything for the team. WE ALSO NEED TO GET RID OF LAMAR ODOM, HOW IN THE WORLD YOU PLAY WITH A GUY LIKE kOBE BRYANT that plays every game like his last game,that brings it night in night out on your side. and you can only manage to show up only for a handfull of games all season? if i was him with all that talent, i’d be embarass.He is the tue definition of a slacker.

23. NotTheBestMove - Jul 3, 2010 at 10:28 PM

OK, interesting debate, but I go back to my first comments. I like Blake, but he is more of a back-up than a starter. If the mid level exception had been split between Blake and some other point guard with similar skills that might have worked. The Lakers could either have tried to get a better point guard or split this amount and got two of them. Now what do they do. Who fills out those other guard spots, Von Wafer, Jorges Smorgasborg, Papa Smurf. If Mitch has some more cards up his sleeve and can move Sasha and or Luke plus draft picks for someone to share duties with Blake, fine. Koby plus Sasha plus Blake ain’t gonna cut it. Add Fish and Brown, maybe a slight improvement from last year. Ridnour or someone equally capable added to the rotation might get the team over the top. Miller is not a point guard, but if the Lakers had a sharp shooting three point artist that could rest Kobe and Artest, come off the bench and score some quick threes, that would be great. There are some opportunities out there for improving this team that shouldn’t slide by. Either get Bosh or shore up the guard positions, that’s the team’s weakest link, backup 2 and point.

24. James Garay - Jul 4, 2010 at 12:31 AM

This foul has nothing but love for the Lakers and the true fans
    that followed the team during their good times and bad. For this I will always love and respect my fellow Laker fans. I need to remind you E and the other want to bes that Kupchak and the Laker management have made personnel moves which reflect a very successful organization (Only 1 game short of the Boston Celtic)By the way E, Boston Celtics need a fan like you (A trader)You forget that the moves made in the past have given the opportunity for the Lakers to 3-peat. Do I have to remind you the the Laker bench were outscored
    by the opposing team in most games this year. I hope we can have this dialogue after the Lakers they 3=peat. Glad to see Farmar,Morrison, Mbenga, and hopefully Josh Powell gone. Sorry about Shannon Brown.
    Word is that D-Fish will be back which will have Blake come off the bench with Odom. Walton needs to go. Hope for a trade to get quality bench player.
    Go Lakers
    James G
    is back!!!

25. DNunn - Jul 4, 2010 at 12:41 AM

The one thing I think that no one is looking at is the fact that Kobe will be making between $25 and $30 million next season. If he wants D-Fish back as much as he says he does, would it be too much to reach into his pocket and pay the extra money needed? I don’t know how that would work as far as NBA rules, but he sure wouldn’t miss $3m if the Lakers signed D-Fish to a 2yr/$7m contract and he made up the remainder to bring it to $10m (even if he had to fork out an additional $3m to cover the luxury tax).
    Sasha’s gonna have a breakout year… I hope! LOL!!

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview