Jul 2, 2010, 11:27 AM EST
The Rockets want an elite power forward. With one — combined with a healthy Yao Ming at center (the entire city of Houston just knocked on wood) and a back court of Aaron Brooks and Kevin Martin — they are a contending team. They could challenge the Lakers and have the length to match them.
They want Chris Bosh or Amar’e Stoudemire.
And their sign-and-trade package might get them one of them — Trevor Ariza, Shane Battier and Luis Scola. That is the offer being floated, according to Yahoo.
There are a lot of moving parts to that. First, Daryl Morey and the Rockets need to convince one of those two guys to come to Houston – it’s a good offer, but those guys are being bombarded with options. Then they have to re-sign Scola, who is a free agent, and convince him to sign a deal as part of being shipped to somewhere. Phoenix may tempt him, Toronto… who knows? But he has to be on board.
Then they have to strike a deal with the other team on the trade. This is why sign-and-trades are often discussed but rarely pulled off — too many moving parts.
But with that good a trio available, Houston may have a better chance than most.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 4
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8