Jul 2, 2010, 11:27 AM EST
The Rockets want an elite power forward. With one — combined with a healthy Yao Ming at center (the entire city of Houston just knocked on wood) and a back court of Aaron Brooks and Kevin Martin — they are a contending team. They could challenge the Lakers and have the length to match them.
They want Chris Bosh or Amar’e Stoudemire.
And their sign-and-trade package might get them one of them — Trevor Ariza, Shane Battier and Luis Scola. That is the offer being floated, according to Yahoo.
There are a lot of moving parts to that. First, Daryl Morey and the Rockets need to convince one of those two guys to come to Houston – it’s a good offer, but those guys are being bombarded with options. Then they have to re-sign Scola, who is a free agent, and convince him to sign a deal as part of being shipped to somewhere. Phoenix may tempt him, Toronto… who knows? But he has to be on board.
Then they have to strike a deal with the other team on the trade. This is why sign-and-trades are often discussed but rarely pulled off — too many moving parts.
But with that good a trio available, Houston may have a better chance than most.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30