Jul 2, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
The New York Knicks have offered Amare Stoudemire a five-year, max contract deal that he may well accept.
The framework of the deal is in place but the details still need to be hammered out, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo. Still, that could happen by the end of the day.
The move could reunite Stoudemire and coach Mike D’Antoni and his seven-seconds-or-less offense. Stoudemire flourished in that offense (when Steve Nash was feeding him the ball) but the two clashed at times. There were rumors both Stoudemire and D’Antoni did not really want to work together again, although publicly it was all puppy dogs and rainbows and love between the two.
This comes after Stoudemire turned down the last offer from the Suns — three years max with the fourth and fifth years guaranteed based on minutes played in the previous years.
The Knicks had wanted to use a signing like Stoudemire to help pitch LeBron James yesterday as a place that he could win on the court, not just make a lot of money. Because in reality, those two things are tied together.
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 2
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 58
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights