Jul 2, 2010, 3:43 PM EDT
A lot of fans only see playoff Derek Fisher, the guy taking over Game 3 of the NBA Finals in the fourth quarter. The guy who is unflappable under pressure, who embraces the big stage.
But regular season Derek Fisher is not that guy. He is no longer a good — often not even an adequate — defender. He shot 38 percent from the floor last year. He gave the Lakers an inefficient 7.5 points and 2.5 rebounds per game last season. There is a reason the Lakers are looking for a new point guard to play most of the minutes for the team. Father time hasn’t just caught up with Fisher, he’s passed him.
Fisher wants a contract for playoff Fisher. The Lakers are offering a deal for regular season Fisher, the guy turning 36 before next season.
Fisher made $5 million last season. He wants a multi-year deal at that same rate. The Lakers are offering a one-year deal and a pay cut.
Fisher is represented by Rob Pelinka, who also represents Kobe Bryant. So the Lakers will walk on eggshells a little. But giving Fisher a multi-year deal would be a mistake.
Rumor is that both Miami and Cleveland are lurking around, should Fisher decide to court other offers. For now it is all Los Angeles.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 5
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games