Jul 1, 2010, 9:28 PM EST
Yesterday, everybody went, “what, really?” when Richard Jefferson opted out of his $15.2 million final year with the San Antonio Spurs.
But he is already negotiating to come back to San Antonio next season, according to the San Antonio Express-News. And it really makes sense, if you think about it.
Several NBA sources assume Jefferson and the Spurs had at least the framework of a new deal in place before his decision to opt out.
“It’s the only reason for him to opt-out,” one rival Western Conference executive said.
One unconfirmed report circulating the league Thursday had Jefferson discussing a three-year, $30 million with the Spurs. Another placed the terms at a more robust five years for $45 million, with the final season likely only partially guaranteed.
Three years at $30 million seems steep, but maybe the Spurs nibble at that. If it is $45 million over five, they are nuts. And the Spurs are not nuts.
But the point is that the Spurs would still need to find a quality replacement for Jefferson on the roster and would struggle to do so with the mid-level exception, which is the most they can offer a free agent. So maybe they did work out a framework already, and while Jefferson will listen if other people call he is close to having a deal again with the Spurs.
And that scream you just heard was Spurs fans reading the last two paragraphs.
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 4
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 7
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 5
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 31