Jul 1, 2010, 9:58 PM EDT
From the refreshing change of pace category:
“Amir (Johnson) didn’t want to play the free agency game,” (his agent Kevin) Bradbury said. “He wanted to go back to Toronto. He’s young and he has security and a lot of basketball left in him.”
And so he has agreed to a five-year, $34 million deal, according to Marc Spears at Yahoo (he also gave us the quote above). The deal can’t be signed for a week, but everyone is on board.
And yes, that is an insanely large contract for a backup big man. That just seems to be the way of the world today, but you have to think the Raptors could have gotten him for less.
Johnson gave the Raptors a solid presence off the bench last year, 17.7 minutes at the forward spot, about 6 points — he doesn’t shoot a lot but when he does he makes it, hitting 62 percent last season — and 5 rebounds a game. Bottom line, he was efficient, reflected in his above average PER of 16.7.
Johnson could have a bigger role with the Raptors next season, depending on the makeup of the team in the wake of Chris Bosh leaving (we all know he’d leaving, right?). But $34 million?
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 1
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony in Game 6 (VIDEO) 10
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 7
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay