Jul 1, 2010, 2:45 AM EDT
Free agency is underway — although it has unofficially been underway for weeks through back channels. Everyone has been talking to everyone. So, consider midnight the end of the NBA’s “we’re looking the other way at all the tampering” season.
And the start of the real free agent craziness.
Below is a roundup of where things stand right before all sane people go to bed.
* LeBron James is in an undisclosed location in Akron (as if everyone in Akron doesn’t actually know where he is). Dwyane Wade is in Chicago. Chris Bosh is in Chicago, too. Coincidence? All three are ready to receive visitors, starting at midnight. Or Thursday morning in LeBron’s case. No real news here, just thought you’d want to know where they are camping out.
* Wade did get a call just after midnight from Pat Riley asking him to
remain with the Heat. Which he is likely to do anyway. So maybe they
also talked about recruiting. Or the oil spill in the Gulf. Or how Drake is overrated. Who knows?
* The Hawks wasted no time in offering Joe Johnson a six-year, $124.5 million max deal. Pretty soon he’ll take it, he wanted to stay home and would have done so for less. The Knicks had a 2:45 hour meeting with Johnson and offered him the max, but they can only offer five years and about $27 million less. And rumor is he only would consider New York if LeBron went, Johnson doesn’t want to be the No. 1 guy anywhere (more comfortable in the 1a or 2 role), particularly in New York.
The Hawks wanted a deal that would handcuff the franchise in three or four years. Apparently.
* The Knicks also are expected to meet tonight with Mike Miller while in Los Angeles.
* The Cavaliers are meeting with seemingly everyone and anyone: Brendan Haywood, Ray Allen, John Salmons and Mike Miller.
* Dirk Nowitzki may be a free agent but he flew all the way from Germany to meet face-to-face tonight with the Mavericks to hammer out a longer term deal. He is going nowhere but Dallas.
* Rudy Gay officially got a qualifying offer, so the Grizzlies can match any deal he is given. Line the one Minnesota is rumored to be offering not long after midnight tonight.
* Boston is expected to sit down with Paul Pierce, who opted out of his $21.5 million owed next year, and figure out a new deal. With Doc Rivers coming back for one more run, you can bet the two sides find a way to bring Pierce — the talisman for the Celtics — back.
* Maybe the biggest surprise of the day was Memphis not extending a qualifying offer to Ronnie Brewer — a young (25) player on the rise and a hard-nosed defender that the Grizzlies gave up a first round draft pick before. They let him walk for nothing. It saves $3.8 million but they get no players in return for him. Penny wise and pound foolish.
* Also, San Antonio’s Richard Jefferson entered the free agent market. Shockingly. He opted out of a $15.2 million deal for next season, under the theory that he could recoup that money with more money over the next four years or so. It makes sense if somebody gave him $10 million a year for four years. But he is more likely to get three years at $6 million. And then he doesn’t look as smart.
Of course, Baron Davis did the same thing a few years back and got a huge contract from the Clippers. (Which they now regret.) Time will tell, sometimes general managers do the craziest things, but it looks like Jefferson cost himself a lot of money.
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 1
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 34
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17