Jul 1, 2010, 6:42 PM EDT
Can you really picture Paul Pierce in colors other than green and white?
Pierce apparently can’t either. He has opened talks with the Boston Celtics on a new contract — and only the Boston Celtics. That according to ESPN.com’s Marc Stein.
Pierce just opted out of the last year of his contract, worth $21.5 million. He almost certainly will not make that back this season, but like Dirk Nowitzki and others, he wants a deal under the current Collective Bargaining Agreement that will extend into the new one (which in theory will begin next summer and in reality will begin after the coming lockout).
The question will be years. Pierce will turn 33 before the start of next season and the Celtics will not want to be locked in with a big salary for four or five years. Pierce, as he should, will try to get as many years on the deal as he can.
But you have to figure they will work this out.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6