Jul 1, 2010, 11:27 AM EDT
If Denver wants to win a title, they have to get past the Los Angeles Lakers first. And that is a tall order. Literally. The long front line of the Lakers — Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom — has been a problem for Denver.
So they are going to solve that with… Andris Biedrins? Really?
But that’s the rumor out of the Denver Post this morning, that the Nuggets are working to find a deal the Golden State Warriors would take for Biedrins.
Denver is stuck in a tough spot. On one side is the desire to win now — Carmelo Anthony has not signed his extension because he wants to see a commitment to winning. But right now the team has a big payroll that in this economy is leading to financial losses, so they would like to trim payroll.
Biedrins fits neither need. He is expensive — he has four more years at $9 million a year (the last is a player option). For a guy who gave you 5 points and 8 boards a game. On a bad team. To be fair, last season was a bad one slowed by injuries — the two previous seasons he showed a lot of potential and promise. But do the Nuggets really want to take on another big with potential but coming off an injury? Haven’t they seen that movie?
The trade makes little sense for Golden State, either. They need to get tougher inside, so they would want a big man back. Even if Denver parts with him, do you trust Kenyon Martin or Nene to be the healthy, consistent big man they need?
This one doesn’t make a lot of sense. But that has not stopped trades before.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30