Jul 1, 2010, 2:25 PM EST
John Salmons was good to the Milwaukee Bucks. Now they are being very good to John Salmons.
The Bucks and Salmons are close to a five-year, $39 million deal that would keep the swingman in Wisconsin, as reported by David Aldridge at NBA.com. There is nothing final — as CBSSports.com is reporting — and nothing can be signed until July 8 anyway, but it is close.
Salmons brought much-needed wing scoring to the Bucks last year, balancing out the Andrew Bogut/Brandon Jennings pair. Now that he would be backed up by Corey Maggette, that would become a potent offense in Milwaukee. And Scott Skiles teams always play good defense (although Maggette’s help defense is going to take years off of Skiles life).
The Bucks also offered too many years and earlier today reached a deal with Drew Gooden to be the power forward for the team. That’s a lot of money to spend this year for a middle market team, but next season Michael Redd comes off the books and that will be a big savings.
If it all goes down, it makes the Bucks lineup Jennings, Salmons, Carlos Delfino, Gooden and Bogut, with Maggette, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Ersan Ilyasova and draft pick Larry Sanders coming off the bench. Not bad at all.
At the end of last season everyone feared the deer, until Bogut went down with a broken wrist. Now that fear may start in November.
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 1
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 6
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 2
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 12
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 13
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (48)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (37)