Jun 30, 2010, 8:55 PM EDT
Cleveland sure looks like one well-oiled machine as they get ready to make their pitch to LeBron James for free agency.
After a couple days of hearing how it was just a matter of negotiating a deal with Lakers assistant Brian Shaw, it appears the tables have turned. Shaw was known to be reaching out to people as potential assistants and his people were telling everyone it was a done deal. But forget about it.
Byron Scott is now negotiating to be the head coach and a deal should come in the next 24 hours, according to ESPN’s Chris Broussard. After some spin from everybody involved, this seems to be pretty much assured. Scott is now the man.
Shaw said he pulled his name out of the running saying he could not meet their time line. That sounds a lot like code for: I had to take the job with or without knowing about LeBron, and I’m not good with that. So Shaw and Tom Izzo can have a nice conversation.
Scott is the former head coach of the Nets who took them to the finals twice (and lost to a team running the triangle, like Shaw wanted to bring in). He also left both jobs because players were of near (or in New Jersey ongoing) player revolts. Something for Cleveland to look forward to.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 7
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 36
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40