Jun 30, 2010, 8:55 PM EDT
Cleveland sure looks like one well-oiled machine as they get ready to make their pitch to LeBron James for free agency.
After a couple days of hearing how it was just a matter of negotiating a deal with Lakers assistant Brian Shaw, it appears the tables have turned. Shaw was known to be reaching out to people as potential assistants and his people were telling everyone it was a done deal. But forget about it.
Byron Scott is now negotiating to be the head coach and a deal should come in the next 24 hours, according to ESPN’s Chris Broussard. After some spin from everybody involved, this seems to be pretty much assured. Scott is now the man.
Shaw said he pulled his name out of the running saying he could not meet their time line. That sounds a lot like code for: I had to take the job with or without knowing about LeBron, and I’m not good with that. So Shaw and Tom Izzo can have a nice conversation.
Scott is the former head coach of the Nets who took them to the finals twice (and lost to a team running the triangle, like Shaw wanted to bring in). He also left both jobs because players were of near (or in New Jersey ongoing) player revolts. Something for Cleveland to look forward to.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13