Jun 30, 2010, 8:55 PM EDT
Cleveland sure looks like one well-oiled machine as they get ready to make their pitch to LeBron James for free agency.
After a couple days of hearing how it was just a matter of negotiating a deal with Lakers assistant Brian Shaw, it appears the tables have turned. Shaw was known to be reaching out to people as potential assistants and his people were telling everyone it was a done deal. But forget about it.
Byron Scott is now negotiating to be the head coach and a deal should come in the next 24 hours, according to ESPN’s Chris Broussard. After some spin from everybody involved, this seems to be pretty much assured. Scott is now the man.
Shaw said he pulled his name out of the running saying he could not meet their time line. That sounds a lot like code for: I had to take the job with or without knowing about LeBron, and I’m not good with that. So Shaw and Tom Izzo can have a nice conversation.
Scott is the former head coach of the Nets who took them to the finals twice (and lost to a team running the triangle, like Shaw wanted to bring in). He also left both jobs because players were of near (or in New Jersey ongoing) player revolts. Something for Cleveland to look forward to.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 2
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 35
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte