Jun 30, 2010, 5:31 AM EDT
The hits just keep coming for the Boston Celtics. Losing game seven of the NBA Finals in heartbreaking fashion would be enough to ruin an entire offseason for most teams. In Boston, losing game seven was just the overture to an off-season of uncertainty and misery.
On Tuesday, 2008 Finals MVP and franchise mainstay Paul Pierce opted out of his contract. A few hours later, Celtics fans were treated to the news that the knee injury Kendrick Perkins suffered during Game 6 of the Finals is much more serious than it was originally believed to be.
According to Mark Murphy of The Boston Herald, a post-game 7 MRI on Perkins’ knee revealed that Perkins had torn his ACL. Perkins will undergo surgery on the knee a week from Tuesday. If all goes well, Perkins will be out of action until late December or early January. It’s tough news for Perkins, who has played in at least 72 regular-season games in each of the last four years.
To recap, the Celtics aren’t sure if Doc Rivers will return. They have already officially lost Tom Thibodeau, a defensive wizard and perhaps the best assistant coach in the league. Their starting center will not be in the lineup on opening day, and their starting wings are both unrestricted free agents.
Not that long ago, the Celtics were 12 minutes away from an NBA Championship. Today, the Celtics don’t have much more than an emerging young superstar, cap space, and the hope that everything will work out okay for the league’s most decorated franchise. As of this moment, it doesn’t look like the Celtics will replicate their 2010 playoff run any time soon. However, if the Celtics’ 2010 playoff run taught us anything, it’s that writing off the Celtics too early can be a big mistake.
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 9
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 9
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld