Jun 30, 2010, 12:16 AM EDT
Whichever team loses out on this summer’s free agency will be devastated. Their franchise will be in ruins, and it may take years to recover, to attain the same level of success they held before Thursday morning at 12AM.
And you know what? It will still pale in comparison to the abject destruction left in Isiah Thomas’ wake during his tenure with the New York Knicks.
So of course, the natural thing to do is allow Thomas one more chance to hurt the franchise, simply be… endorsing the franchise! Take it away, AP!
“Go to New York,” Thomas advised. “It’s the biggest stage.”
who led the Detroit Pistons to two NBA titles and is in the Hall of
Fame, said James’ presence in New York would be good for the game: “I
think that the interest in him in New York and in the league and
everything else would just take the NBA to a higher level.”
So just so we can be clear on this: The man that wound up acquiring Stephon Marbury, Zach Randolph (the bad kind), Eddy Curry, traded away draft picks for terrible players, handed out what can be considered the worst contracts in modern history, that guy would like to give advice on the most important free agency decision in modern history.
What’s most stunning about Thomas providing perspective on this is that the Knicks only last week finally got out from the crushing weight of Thomas’ screw ups. The Knicks’ top ten pick being owned by the Jazz (by way of the Suns) was the final direct consequence of the Thomas reign. Sure, they’ve got to swap picks with Houston for the next decade and that Eddy Curry contract sits there taunting Donnie Walsh like the overweight cousin that keeps the family from getting to go to Six Flags, but for the most part, the recovery process has begun.
But Isiah’s always there to drive the dagger just a bit deeper. And why shouldn’t he? If the Knicks are going to suffer an indignity, Isiah really should be involved. He owns that legacy, after all.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 20
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 17
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead