Jun 30, 2010, 1:54 PM EST
After being away from the sting of losing in the NBA finals for a few weeks, Doc Rivers has decided he wants to be back on the sidelines for one more year, and one more run at a title.
Rivers made it official by telling the Celtics his intentions today. The Boston Herald broke the story, which was quickly confirmed by anyone and everyone. Mark Spears at Yahoo got a quote from Rivers.
“With the blessing of my family and time away I want to try one more time with this group.”
That’s a sign that they plan to bring back Paul Pierce and not start rebuilding around Rajon Rondo quite yet.
Rivers had said several times over the course of the season that he was thinking about taking a step back to spend more time with his family. But he also said during the finals that while he could get another coaching job some day, it would not be with this group of guys. Rivers genuinely liked this team, these players, and their ability to succeed.
That was enough to bring him back for one more year, but as Rivers did not ask for an extension of the one year remaining on his deal, you can bet this is it. He did reportedly get a raise from the $5.5 million he made last season.
The next question is who becomes his lead assistant, with Tom Thibodeau having left for the deep dish pizza of Chicago (and Rose and Noah and….). One name being rumored is former Nets top man Lawrence Frank. He would become the likely successor to Rivers after this season.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 11
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14