Jun 30, 2010, 1:54 PM EDT
After being away from the sting of losing in the NBA finals for a few weeks, Doc Rivers has decided he wants to be back on the sidelines for one more year, and one more run at a title.
Rivers made it official by telling the Celtics his intentions today. The Boston Herald broke the story, which was quickly confirmed by anyone and everyone. Mark Spears at Yahoo got a quote from Rivers.
“With the blessing of my family and time away I want to try one more time with this group.”
That’s a sign that they plan to bring back Paul Pierce and not start rebuilding around Rajon Rondo quite yet.
Rivers had said several times over the course of the season that he was thinking about taking a step back to spend more time with his family. But he also said during the finals that while he could get another coaching job some day, it would not be with this group of guys. Rivers genuinely liked this team, these players, and their ability to succeed.
That was enough to bring him back for one more year, but as Rivers did not ask for an extension of the one year remaining on his deal, you can bet this is it. He did reportedly get a raise from the $5.5 million he made last season.
The next question is who becomes his lead assistant, with Tom Thibodeau having left for the deep dish pizza of Chicago (and Rose and Noah and….). One name being rumored is former Nets top man Lawrence Frank. He would become the likely successor to Rivers after this season.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 18
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 17
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 47