Jun 30, 2010, 2:38 PM EDT
Come midnight — or 9 p.m. out in Los Angeles where he is stationed — Amare Stoudemire will become a free agent. He will sit while gentlemen callers to come knocking on his door to court him.
But there is a chance he stays in Phoenix. Slim but it exists.
After three hours of meetings Tuesday and more on Wednesday, Stoudemire has opted out of the last year of his contract with the Suns, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo (who was first but this has been confirmed by several sources now). However, he will continue to negotiate with them as well as the other teams out there.
There will be a lot of demand for Stoudemire’s services — paired with Dwyane Wade in Miami, or as a key part of rebuilding New York or New Jersey. Chicago and other teams may be in the mix as well.
But it will come down to money. Always does.
Phoenix would not offer a max contract to Stoudemire as he wanted. If another team — particularly another team that can win — does so, expect Stoudemire to jump on it.
This is a big kick at the can for him, and he is not walking away from $17.7 million just to take less and play along side someone good. He could do that with Steve Nash. Pay the man his money. Everything else is secondary.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay