The terrifying possibility of a LeBron-Wade-Bosh triumvirate in Miami inches closer to becoming a reality

Jun 29, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT

Thumbnail image for bosh_wade.jpgUPDATE 11:12 am: The Miami Herald and other sources are reporting that this summit did not happen in Miami. Turns out Wade spent last weekend in his hometown of Chicago. Although ESPN’s sources say they were all together in Miami.

Whatever. See, there is this fancy new technology called the telephone where the three of them could have had a conversation from wherever they were in the world. Amazing, I know. So to recap, a summit may have happened, but maybe not face-to-face one in Miami. And it may all not matter because they could talk any time they want.

10:24 am: Call it a summit, a book club, or whatever you’d like, but LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh have met to determine the league’s future over a nice game of Parcheesi. What an ominous yet delightful development!

The particular endgame the three are discussing is a future in which James, Wade, and Bosh all play for the Heat. Miami doesn’t have the cap space for such an unprecedented move as of yet, but they’ll continue trying to clear as much cap as possible to keep this dream alive. They just have to move Michael Beasley’s deal, and Pat Riley has been on the phones begging other GMs to do just that. Our own Ira Winderman reported he may have found a landing place, but nothing has been made official yet.

Reports have LeBron James as being the non-committed one to this idea. The man wants to be courted, he wants the teams to come to him and tell him how much they love him. Then he will decide, and Miami may now be a front runner. But first, he wants to be wooed.

The thought of the three biggest prizes of the 2010 free agent class all ending up in Miami is…frightening, to say the least. Supposing the Heat do end up moving Beasley, then Mario Chalmers and second round selections Dexter Pittman and Justin Varnado would be the only locks for the roster. The rest would need to be picked up using cap exceptions and minimum contracts. However, given the drawing power of the triumvirate, I’m sure a few capable veterans could be persuaded to sign for a discount.

If the three are to ever team up, it would require sacrifice. The price of converting three incredible, distinct talents into a supergroup would be substantial, particularly for their individual résumés. Initially, someone would have to sacrifice money; even if the Heat shed Beasley’s contract in order to have a realistic chance of signing all three free agents, they won’t have enough cap space for three max contracts.

Then, all three would likely have to sacrifice in usage. James, Wade, and Bosh are all high-usage superstars, and while their combined presence would open up easier scoring opportunities for all, it would also decrease their general frequency. It seems unlikely that any of the three players would be able to maintain their current statistical excellence if they were sharing a ball. Stats don’t mean everything, but they do factor into current evaluations of their game, All-NBA selections, Hall of Fame chances, and eventually help to determine their place among the all-time greats. After all, how often are numbers used for historical comparison, regardless of context?

If the thought of neo-Miami’s core is remarkable, it’s made even more so by the level of subjugation required to obtain it. This would be more than three superstars in their prime wanting to play together; James, Wade, and Bosh would all have to surrender their egos, their touches, their production, and their excuses at the door. If they fell short of an NBA title, there would be no wiggle room, as each would finally have at least two teammates worthy of their own impressive skills. That may not be an issue, though. The sheer force of James, Wade, and Bosh alone would incite an all-out panic across the league, and there’s a distinct possibility that they could rule the NBA with an iron fist.

But only if they decide that it’s really worth it. Only if they conclude that recognition of their work as a collective is enough to sustain them for the next few seasons. Only if three guys who have played up this summer’s market, promoted themselves, and been showered with attention suddenly determine that they don’t need all eyes on them and them alone. Only if they sacrifice the money, their places in the record books, and surely some individual awards along the way. Only then can we start reserving trophies for the new-and-improved hypothetical Miami Heat, the team that would somehow act as a caricature of the superstar system while defying it.

1. Nimoy Cixx - Jun 29, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I don’t think that three stars like James, Wade and Bosh are a good match. I think that you need a superstar, a really good 2 man and a center that can hold his own. For example, Jordan had Pippen and Cartwright, Magic had Byron Scott and Kareem and Koby has Odom and Bynum. The combination would not work because they all are scorers and two out of the three are pompous jerks as teammates. I’ll let you guess which two.

2. kaiser roll - Jun 29, 2010 at 2:38 PM

this has to be the worst article ever written by someone claiming to be a sportswriter. north korean newspapers have better facts than this guy. if only this author could be thrown in a re-education camp…

3. kaiser roll - Jun 29, 2010 at 2:39 PM

4. Manny - Jun 29, 2010 at 2:43 PM

There’s not enough basketballs on the court for all of them to be on the same team.
    And who’s going to be the “go-to” guy? I see problems in this.

5. William Hansen - Jun 29, 2010 at 2:44 PM

You must be dumb, get a liofe.

6. Joe - Jun 29, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Ron: “and by the way championships are not won with 3 egomaiac superstars.”
    Maybe not egomaniac, but…CELTICS 2008.

7. Anonymous - Jun 29, 2010 at 2:48 PM

..I Notice the word “If” is used frequently in this article…My theory is “If my sister had balls ..she’d be my brother” ..big if…Lets don’t start passing out rings in Miami yet!!!

8. ken covert - Jun 29, 2010 at 2:51 PM

9. ken covert - Jun 29, 2010 at 2:52 PM

10. ken covert - Jun 29, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I notice the word “If” used quite frequently in this article…My theory on the word “If” is..”If my siter had balls ..she’d be my brother..Big “If” ..I wouldn’t be passing out rings in Miami just yet!!!

11. RealKingJames - Jun 29, 2010 at 3:02 PM

It is plain and simple, interesting fantasy article except for one small point. LeBron cherished calling the Cavaliers “My Team”. He goes to Miami and that is taken away from the opening tip.
    He is not going to share period. He needs a team with this eras Scottie Pippen and a solid center and he can win championships. In Cleveland I don’t see Scottie and nothing close to a solid center. In Chicago Noah could be his Pippen but I don’t see the two getting along and I don’t think Lebron wants to play in Jordan’s shadow.
    I can see him staying on the East Coast to be closer to home but after dealing with the marshmallow media in Cleveland does he really want to go to NY? This brings us back to Cleveland.
    Here is what I would be whispering in his ear, bring a championship to Cleveland and you are wearing your crown and sitting on the highest thrown in sports. NY has had a drought and so has Chicago but nothing compared to the three sport drought in Cleveland. He could bank all his money because he would never have to pay for anything as long as he is home. Problem here is the coach is gone and so is the GM. Both deserved to go but where is the continuity for the 2010-2011 season?
    My opinion, LeBron should lobby to create a new team in his real home town of Akron. He could be owner, GM, Head Coach and star player because after all this BS we have been hearing/reading for the last two years all I would want to see more than anything else is to sign that huge multi year deal and have a career ending injury.
    See how I was all over the place in writing this. Can I get a job with MSNBC? Man I crack myself up.

12. steve - Jun 29, 2010 at 3:26 PM

didnt barkly, drexler and hakeem try this and failed.

13. 1bmffwb - Jun 29, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Again, stacking the deck to win a championship might be a way to win, but it is not the fair way to win. Who can be proud to be on a team with superior talent that is destined to be the best? You dont do that on the playground. You always divide players based on skill, and even up the teams. It is the equivalent of cheating. It may be fun for the fans to have something to speculate about, but deep down it is dirty. I don’t beat up on 12 year olds, because I know that it is not fair or honorable, someone who does is a jerk. After saying that, I don’t see these three players as an absolute win. Another team will sign another star player and match up against them. Then we can all laugh at them for failing at cheating. Dumping players who have their lives invested on these teams to be in a position is also an example of not being able to develop talent. Maybe the league should look at contracts and find a way for teams to rid themselves of players who do not work on personal and professional ideals. It should be easier to drop a player who is not improving or is not a good citizen. Teams are stuck with prima-donnas who take up salary cap but are no longer a benefit to the club. Then we could see some real competition.

14. 1bmffwb - Jun 29, 2010 at 3:35 PM

15. Eric NYC - Jun 29, 2010 at 3:40 PM

This writer is an idiot. Three massive egos will never mesh. Way to stir the pot though! Douche Bag!

16. laughing - Jun 29, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Hey Ron, i don’t think Dick was calling you a Dick. Hello! EGO! you’re not “the writer”.

17. Larry - Jun 29, 2010 at 4:45 PM

This is all a diversion, Lebron is on his way to L.A.

18. Lion Woods - Jun 29, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Lebron’s journey along the road that leads to attainment of the Holy Grail will turn on his next choice of team. It is obvious he is leaving Cleveland. Good ridance. That is about a overrated bunch in Cleveland. Any way the Heat is the team that could net LB a championship. Why? Pat Riley. Riles knows what winning is all about. Riles coached a bunch of them for the Lakers during the Magic Johnson era and still possesses that zen like ability to motivate his players alot like Phil Jackson. If you are keeping score for the greatest player in the league right now… LB 0 KB 5.

19. lakerfan - Jun 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM

You’re right Larry. If Lebon wants a championship, LA is the place to be! Miami, Chicago, NY are nothing but pretenders. Suck it up Lebron and beg the Lakers to sign you.

20. Bob S - Jun 29, 2010 at 6:20 PM

And this is why I can’t stand basketball anymore. First of all, the way the game is played is a joke. It’s all about reflecting these players’ egos, with all the schoolyard posturing, trash-talking and everything else that goes along with it. Worse, these immature egomaniacs, stoked by their “10%-ers” and the parasites that hang on the as long as the dough is rolling in, are being allowed to run this asylum. Isn’t what these 3 guys are rumored to be trying to accomplish akin to a monopoly? If I was any other owner, I’d be apoplectic!! It’s a catastrophe.

21. kompleatkaos - Jun 29, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Actually, Phil has TWELVE rings. He won 1 as a player with the Knicks. So he’d still have 1 more than you or me.

22. Kev F - Jun 29, 2010 at 6:45 PM

One problem… there’s one basketball used in a game.

23. Anonymous - Jun 29, 2010 at 6:45 PM

nor do you win with a deep bench as james has proven nothing but being able to choke when it comes for him to step up.

24. Kev F. - Jun 29, 2010 at 6:46 PM

One little problem. There’s only 1 basketball used in a game.

25. flavorblade - Jun 29, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Lebron in Miami would be the biggest and most controversial player personnel move of the young 21st century; in any sport. The only greater hype would be if Mayweather and Manny announced they signed to fight. Last century the biggest news in basketball was threefold. Portland chose Sam Bowie over Jordan, and number two Boston drafted Len Bias and then he died. Then you have L.A trading for Shake and Kobe.
    One thing this blog discussion has shown me is that unless he stays in Cleveland, Miami is the only sensible choice.
    Chicago: No. The ghost of Jordan. Workable rooster.
    New Jersey: No. Never won nothing. Project rooster forget Jay-Z, already had Beyonce, thanks.
    New York: No. Can’t hear yourself think. Worse rooster than Cleveland.
    L.A: No. Now you look like you bumming.
    l.A Clippers: No. Bad luck squad get injured or something.
    Portland: No. Double no.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches