Jun 29, 2010, 4:17 PM EST
It’s about influence. And power.
Influencing LeBron James decision on where to play next year, because it will add or subtract to the power of someone around him.
Earlier today we talked about how it is better for William Wesley if LeBron James moves on from Cleveland. However, for Maverick Carter and LeBron’s high school friends have more power if he stays in Cleveland.
But Maverick Carter, James’s longtime business manager, said Tuesday that Wesley would not play a role in James’s deliberations and would not be present as various teams visit his client in Ohio.
“All the Wes rumors are untrue and he will not be at the meetings,” Carter said. “Wes has nothing to do with where he goes.”
James, Carter and James’s agent, Leon Rose, are scheduled to be at the meetings…
Sure, there’s no power struggle around James.
The thing is, Wesley was the guy who guided James to Leon Rose. The two have worked together for years. If Rose is in the room, the spirit of Wesley is in the room.
And Wesley wouldn’t want to be in the room anyway. He is the back-room deal guy. Although some of his recent steps — like trying to get teams to trade for Chris Paul to pair with James — seem a little far fetched.
We are only seeing glimpses of the picture. We do not see the whole tapestry. But what we do see looks familiar — men fighting over power and influence. Just in a different setting this time.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 2
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30