Jun 29, 2010, 1:26 PM EDT
There was no real doubt that Yao Ming was going to stay with the Houston Rockets, the only question was it with this current deal or a new one.
The current one, apparently.
Associated Press is reporting that Yao will pick up the $17.7 million player option for this coming season with the Rockets.
That will make him an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season.
When healthy, Yao is the best center in the game. (Look up the head-to-head with Dwight Howard before you carry Superman’s flag in this battle.) However, he missed all of last season after reconstructive foot surgery. He is working out in Houston right now with plans to return next season.
If healthy — and that is the caveat on all things Yao — the Rockets are suddenly a real power in the West, with Aaron Brooks and Kevin Martin in the backcourt and a good group of role players.
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 4
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 26
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 67
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 50