Jun 29, 2010, 10:59 AM EDT
The Washington Wizards have their point guard of the future, and it is not Randy Foye.
That is one reason the team declined to make a qualifying offer to Foye, making him an unrestricted free agent. You can have him. The Wizards are letting Mike Miller go as well this summer. So, the two guys they got in the trade for the No. 5 pick two years ago that became Ricky Rubio will be gone in a year. There was just no winner in that trade so far.
In truth, the Wizards didn’t bring Foye back for a few reasons. One was Wall – he will get all the minutes he can handle. Foye could have been the backup, but the qualifying offer had to be for $4.8 million. Foye would be overpaid at $4.8 million. So he is free to see what the market can pay.
Foye would make a decent backup somewhere. The problem is he is a scoring point guard who doesn’t score that well. Not efficiently anyway. He shot 41.9 percent last season. He had a true shooting percentage of 51.6 percent (think of TS% like points per shot attempt), which is below the league average. He is not a good midrange shooter, it’s to the rim or a three. He gets some assists but is not a great passer.
Someone will bring Foye on, say for $3 million a year, give or take. Give him 18 minutes a night off the bench, and in that role, he works just fine, you’ll get some points out of him.
The problem for Foye is he will always be linked to the draft-day trade where Kevin McHale and the Wolves really wanted Foye and set up a trade to get him with the Portland Trail Blazers, giving up Brandon Roy. Kevin Pritchard won that deal, and set up Portland for a decade. So, of course, they let Pritchard go. But that’s a whole different topic.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 25
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 29
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4