Jun 29, 2010, 10:59 AM EDT
The Washington Wizards have their point guard of the future, and it is not Randy Foye.
That is one reason the team declined to make a qualifying offer to Foye, making him an unrestricted free agent. You can have him. The Wizards are letting Mike Miller go as well this summer. So, the two guys they got in the trade for the No. 5 pick two years ago that became Ricky Rubio will be gone in a year. There was just no winner in that trade so far.
In truth, the Wizards didn’t bring Foye back for a few reasons. One was Wall – he will get all the minutes he can handle. Foye could have been the backup, but the qualifying offer had to be for $4.8 million. Foye would be overpaid at $4.8 million. So he is free to see what the market can pay.
Foye would make a decent backup somewhere. The problem is he is a scoring point guard who doesn’t score that well. Not efficiently anyway. He shot 41.9 percent last season. He had a true shooting percentage of 51.6 percent (think of TS% like points per shot attempt), which is below the league average. He is not a good midrange shooter, it’s to the rim or a three. He gets some assists but is not a great passer.
Someone will bring Foye on, say for $3 million a year, give or take. Give him 18 minutes a night off the bench, and in that role, he works just fine, you’ll get some points out of him.
The problem for Foye is he will always be linked to the draft-day trade where Kevin McHale and the Wolves really wanted Foye and set up a trade to get him with the Portland Trail Blazers, giving up Brandon Roy. Kevin Pritchard won that deal, and set up Portland for a decade. So, of course, they let Pritchard go. But that’s a whole different topic.
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 0
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 11
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48