Jun 29, 2010, 10:59 AM EDT
The Washington Wizards have their point guard of the future, and it is not Randy Foye.
That is one reason the team declined to make a qualifying offer to Foye, making him an unrestricted free agent. You can have him. The Wizards are letting Mike Miller go as well this summer. So, the two guys they got in the trade for the No. 5 pick two years ago that became Ricky Rubio will be gone in a year. There was just no winner in that trade so far.
In truth, the Wizards didn’t bring Foye back for a few reasons. One was Wall – he will get all the minutes he can handle. Foye could have been the backup, but the qualifying offer had to be for $4.8 million. Foye would be overpaid at $4.8 million. So he is free to see what the market can pay.
Foye would make a decent backup somewhere. The problem is he is a scoring point guard who doesn’t score that well. Not efficiently anyway. He shot 41.9 percent last season. He had a true shooting percentage of 51.6 percent (think of TS% like points per shot attempt), which is below the league average. He is not a good midrange shooter, it’s to the rim or a three. He gets some assists but is not a great passer.
Someone will bring Foye on, say for $3 million a year, give or take. Give him 18 minutes a night off the bench, and in that role, he works just fine, you’ll get some points out of him.
The problem for Foye is he will always be linked to the draft-day trade where Kevin McHale and the Wolves really wanted Foye and set up a trade to get him with the Portland Trail Blazers, giving up Brandon Roy. Kevin Pritchard won that deal, and set up Portland for a decade. So, of course, they let Pritchard go. But that’s a whole different topic.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 26
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games