Jun 28, 2010, 7:46 PM EDT
UPDATE 7:46 pm: ESPN salary cap guru Larry Coon blew this idea of Wade/Bosh/LeBron out of the water tonight. Here were his comments on twitter:
If they re-sign Wade, waive Jones & renounce all other FAs, they will have $27,596,027 cap room. Bron/Bosh are $16,568,908 each.
So one or both of them would have to take a steep pay cut as things stand now. Good luck with that.
But things also could change — if the Heat can find someone to take on Beasley for cap space. Something that Pat Riley has worked on and our own Ira Winderman has written about. If Beasley were moved it could free up the money needed to sign all three. Hasn’t happened yet, but it could. Riley could even have a potential landing place waiting, just if he needs to pull the trigger.
9:13 am: How about all of the big three from this year’s free agent crop — LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh — all teaming up together in Miami, with Pat Riley as coach?
That’s the new rumor. There will be new ones every hour on the hour, but this is the one right now.
It comes via Stephen A. Smith, who certainly has some NBA contacts but also is a big self-promoter, likes to say things that will draw the spotlight to himself and misses on plenty. So, make sure you have plenty of salt with you.
There are a lot of questions here, starting with how well Wade and LeBron would really pair on the court. Both are ball-dominating perimeter players, to pair them means you are taking the ball out of one of their hands half the time. How often would they feed Bosh in the post? That’s a lot of ego to keep happy.
The bigger question is: Would it be good for the league to have a “super team?”
The NFL thrives on competitive balance. The NBA has been more about the dynasties, but to make a dynasty work there has to be a genuine challenge. The Lakers have two titles in a row but they were pushed about as far as they can be by Boston this year. The great Bulls teams had a series of challengers, from Cleveland and Utah, among others. That team rose above, but they were pushed.
It looks like some kind of powerhouse will emerge from whatever LeBron, Wade and Bosh do. But wouldn’t LeBron and Bosh in Chicago be more interesting if Wade and say Amare Stoudemire were in Miami to challenge them? Then the winner gets the Lakers in the finals. Real competition. That is what the league needs.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 2
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 14
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29