Jun 28, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
If you love Keyon Dooling, set him free.
That’s sort of what happened. In a pretty straightforward business move the Nets declined the option bought out the $3.8 million contract of Dooling to create even more cap space.
The Nets liked him as a player, but want as much flexibility as possible this summer, and basically everybody in New Jersey knew this was coming.
Dooling will likely land somewhere. Last season he gave the Nets a solid 18 minutes off the bench at the guard spot, and he can knock down some threes (although he shot under 40 percent overall). Plus he provided a very reliable veteran presence the Nets needed.
Some other team can use that this season.
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. But he liked what LeBron did. 10
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 38
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 20
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 70